Space for Flip out head unit?

anton_lor

Reaction score
Hello!
I just bought a 1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible and want to upgrade to another head unit. I would like to change out the cassette player for a single din head unit with a flip out screen. Is there even room in the bezel for the flip out screen? Has anyone installed such head unit and maybe has pictures?
Thank you and greetings from Germany!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as long as the deck folds out far enough to go past the divider for the climate controls you are fine. You will of course lose the use of them easily since they will be covered. Any reason you want that instead of a double din radio in the dash?

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
I dont really like the look of a double din radio and it is quite expensive here in germany to import the bezel for the double din opening. Is there a single din radio with the flip out screen that you know will come out far enough?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I was going to say you can always try to get one from the junkyard but then I remembered that they are getting hard to find here in the states I can only imagine there. I do not even know manf that make flip outs anymore and its been a little while since I was installing.

Now that I think about it they were still doing single dins in 96? I thought that was the flip to the double din on the stock decks?

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
Yeah, the flip out screens are kind of rare nowadays but they still exist. I might just have to try it out and if it doesnt fit, ill have to return it. Maybe in the meanwhile someone else has a picture of their setup. I think they changed the bezel in 99 to one single din. My 96 has two single din, one for the cassette radio and one for the CD player of the Mach460 system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online