Tuning Innovations

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted Ted @Tuning Innovations. He replied back, suggesting I would need “Custom written and flashed to a SCT 6600 chip. You will be sent a form with questions” . Price seems fair, so I’m interested. But… how does this work? He sends me a questionnaire to fill out. He then creates this “chip”? And I guess sends it to me? How do I install it into my ‘95? Or do I send him my ECU, he upgrades it and sends it back?

I just want to make sure this is something I can do before I get in knee deep!

Last edited:

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
If it's like from "back in the day" (I hate to appropriate that term), the "chip" is plugged into the PROM port on the back of the ECU. If yours has not had its cherry popped, you will need to gently clean the sealant/protector amber-looking goo off of the board so it will make a good connection. We had to do that when we installed a supercharger on my cousin's '95. That was one of the benefits of OBD II when it came out in '96 (for the Mustangs); the plug & play, program on the fly, directly into the ECU. Gone were the aggravating days of having to plug the "chip" into the ECU. Depends on his process but, if an option, IMO, it would be good just to send him the entire ECU, have him install and test it, then send the whole thing back to you so you can just plug it up and ride. If not, it's not hard to do, just be very careful not to sand or scrape through the connection points on on the ECU board. That would be bad...very bad.

oz95gt

Reaction score
I contacted Ted @Tuning Innovations. He replied back, suggesting I would need “Custom written and flashed to a SCT 6600 chip. You will be sent a form with questions” . Price seems fair, so I’m interested. But… how does this work? He sends me a questionnaire to fill out. He then creates this “chip”? And I guess sends it to me? How do I install it into my ‘95? Or do I send him my ECO, he upgrades it and sends it back?

I just want to make sure this is something I can do before I get in knee deep!

Attachments

• J3 Chip Installation Instructions (1).pdf
    349 KB · Views: 19

Jason_Charowsky

Reaction score
I recently installed this chip on my 95. I went through Tuning Innovations and the chip has given me no problems since. All I had to do was send him the form filled out and then install the chip. It was very very simple.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I recently installed this chip on my 95. I went through Tuning Innovations and the chip has given me no problems since. All I had to do was send him the form filled out and then install the chip. It was very very simple.
Thx, Jason. I’m actually very relieved to hear that. I have big time anxiety (due to inexperience) with ECU-related stuff. I did order yesterday. Awaiting the form to fill out.

What changes/improvements did you notice? Do you ask/tell him what you’re looking for or does he just do upgrades across the board in mpg, performance, etc??

Jason_Charowsky

Reaction score
I previously had an untuned HCI set up and it drove like crap (obviously and done by previous owner). But once I did a full rebuild and actually got it tuned, the car drives just as it would stock just with power there. Now granted I probably am getting a better mpg then I would have but I have 4:10s and am lucky to get 10 mpg when driving city but I was able to get 18 when took a 60 mile highway trip so. But again the car is acting as it would stock just with the power of a HCI set up.

BB2

Reaction score
Was reading this chat. I recently did the EGR and smog delete kit on my 1994 SVT. Unknown internals but guy I bought from says .030 and a cam. I can hear the cam but not sure on the .030 over part. Anyway full throttle is fine but know I got the chuggin after the shifts in normal driving. Can I get a chip to fix or get it dynoed.?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Was reading this chat. I recently did the EGR and smog delete kit on my 1994 SVT. Unknown internals but guy I bought from says .030 and a cam. I can hear the cam but not sure on the .030 over part. Anyway full throttle is fine but know I got the chuggin after the shifts in normal driving. Can I get a chip to fix or get it dynoed.?
Welcome, BB2! I think your best bet is to call Ted Jenkins @ Tuning Innovations in TN 1-864-501-8524 or shoot him an email (he's quick to respond!) @ tuninginnovations.com

Good luck! And please feel free to do an Introduction thread. Little bit about you, your car, plans for ti, issues, etc. TONS of great people on this Forum to help you. Cheers!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I’m trying to fill out the questionnaire sheet from Tuning Innovations and there’s a couple few I either don’t know or don’t know how to answer. Here they are:

1. my Compression Ratio? IDK
2. “Traction control permanently off?” Again, IDK if I even have traction control, and I don’t remember if I have posi-traction or not. Guess I could lift the rear end off the ground and spin one wheel and see if they both rotate or just the one.
3. “Have the IMRC’s been removed?” IDK…. I had to look up what IMRC meant! So again, no clue :-(

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
1: that would be info that’s needed from the engine builder.

2: I don’t think the 95 had traction control.

3: You don’t have IMRC. Those were in the 96 cobra that had the double overhead cam 4.6

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a spec sheet from the engine builder that outlines what parts were used?
No. Requested, but never got. Errrrrgh… I do know the components: Scat rotating assembly; Comp Cam (see picture below for specs); AFR 165 heads.

2. Didn’t think so
3. Ok, thx!

IMG_0091.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
No. Requested, but never got. Errrrrgh… I do know the components: Scat rotating assembly; Comp Cam (see picture below for specs); AFR 165 heads.

2. Didn’t think so
3. Ok, thx!

View attachment 33999
Do you have the specs on the rotating assembly? Bore size and piston volume? We can use a compression calculator to find static compression but we need that info.

Technically, we also need head gasket thickness and cylinder head combustion chamber volume but we can look that up and get a general idea.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No. I called and spoke to them. They said they used to give a card with all the engine build specs. I never received one and since then when they changed their computer system, they lost all the old info. So I’m screwed on that.

But on the upshot, I spoke to Ted @ TI. He said not knowing the compression ratio isn’t a big deal until it get 11:1 or higher. Pretty sure I’m not in THAT realm with my lil’ 347 stroker ! So I texted him pics of the worksheet and he’s good-to-go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s photos of what I printed off the AFR site: (hope it helps)??

image.jpgimage.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As far as head gasket thickness, IDK, but I know they’re FelPro, so maybe Ican go on their website and find out…

Got it: .039 compressed

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
is this enough info to figure out the compression ratio?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is that info enough to calculate? I don’t have or know the decklid height, sorry. :-(

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Not really. That gives the head info, but we really need piston size and volume. Did you order the rotating assembly or did the shop that built the engine order it?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The shop ordered the rotating assembly, but I told them which one I wanted (Scat).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online