Spring suggestions

WraithTR1

Reaction score
As the title suggest I'm looking for some suggestions on springs. I have a 1997 V6 that I'm looking to lower (a little) and improve the handling of the car. I'm mainly looking at making it a little more fun to drive while out cruising around on the back roads or when I occasionally go to the circle track. I'm not looking at lowering the car so much that I've got to make complex maneuvers to enter/exit parking lots, go over speed humps, or worry about every bump and crease in the road. Speaking of which the roads are horrible here and I don't want the car to feel like I'm riding in the back of an old farm truck either. I have a set of KYB GR-2's and a polyurethane bushings that I plan to put on at the same time. I do have a set of Ford "C" springs but I think that will be a little more then I'm looking for after reading around. A couple of sets of springs I'm looking at are the SVE Springs from Late Model Restoration or the Ford "B" Springs. I've read through several things and I think I'm on the right track for what I'm looking for, but I want to hear what others opinions are.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
the C springs will indeed be too stiff for DD duties. The B springs are pretty soft. I just removed them from my Cobra and put in some H&R SS with Bilsteins :) I didn't like the B springs bc the car wasn't low enough, and all my shocks and struts kept giving out early with them. I didn't find the right dampners to pair them with. with the H&r I don't have you do crazy maneuvers over anything but tall speed bumps.

RichV

Reaction score
B springs are specific rate, no? I had them on a Fox and I feel they are too stiff for a DD. maybe the extra weight of the SN helps, or the Fox's shocks were not up to par.

I would undoubtedly go with a progressive rate spring. On my SVO I run Eibach Progressives and they are great. I have run the on track, street, and long trips with a great compromise for all around driving.

OP
OP
W

WraithTR1

Reaction score
From what I found online about the spring rates are the stock spring is front 400 rear 190. Both Ford spring sets are .75-1 inch drop the C springs are front 650 rear 200/300, the B springs are progressive front 450/530 rear 200/300, and the SVE springs are front 450 rear 250 with a 2 inch drop. As I've got a V6 I figure that I would get a total drop of around a 1/4 or 1/2 of the total advertised drop. If I went with the SVE springs I'd probably be running the poly isolators to keep it from dropping so much. I just figure since both the B spring and SVE spring are closer to the stock spring rating they will give slightly better handling without killing the ride.

acomaelkhunter

Reaction score
i put the FMS "b" springs on my 95 GT, with the KYB G2 struts and shocks. i like the combo. lowered about 1.2 inch in front and .8 inch in back... i really like the way it sticks to the road on corners and dips in the road. it totally lowers when flying at 140 on the open roads. it does get tiresome on long trips

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The B springs are progressive. the C springs are not progressive and thus are stiffer. The B springs by no means are stiff at all. They are almost identical to stock. They are the softest springs I have had.compared to stock. they will be perfectly fine for a dd. I had them and they are seriously just like stock ride only a little lower and better handling in turns. Be advised that for cornering purposes they are not all that; H&R are worlds ahead i'm the cornering department for springs.

RichV

Reaction score
OK, sorry, I'm thinking the C Springs then. That's what I had on my Fox.

Definitely go with the softer spring on a V6, it's a little lighter out back.

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
i have steeda springs , and they seem to be good . ride isn't to harsh either

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online