What should i do?

Stangulation96

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am a new member and i was just trying to find out what kit i could get for my car to lower it and get a good suspension under it because i need to put front struts on due to one recently going bad. I want the car lowered but i want it to be enough, like 2 inches so that there is not to much wheel well left open, the car is a stock 96 gt covert. I want to have the factory 17s in the back widened(if anyone knoes where to get rims widened it would be much appricated) and want to put bigger tires on it, 10.5's does anyone also no what i will need to do to fit tires that big on the back?

Thanks so much looking forward to the knowledge from others.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
H&R super sports are a good option to get the car low or you could always go with coilovers. A lot of people use http://weldcraftwheels.com/ for widening but to get 10.5 factory wheels to fit out back you will need a good sized spacer.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
H&R SuperSport springs are my favorite, and with the correct backspacing a 10.5" wheel should fit just fine.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
H&R are ISO certified. Also, if you are on a budget, you oculd hunt down a set of used BBKs, used Eibach, or something along those lines.

OP
OP
Stangulation96

Stangulation96

Reaction score
Thanks everyone still open to any info ppl are willing to give, i am going to look into h and r i will let everyone know when its complete.

02GT

Reaction score
check out the SR performance springs at americanmuscle, dirt cheap and they lower the car around an inch and a half, they are my next suspension purchase after doing the J&M UCAs and LCAs

Green00gt

Reaction score
For widening these guys are the best http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/ A lot of Lightning guys run them.
Once I figure out which wheels I want to run I'm goin to get the front narrowed to a 5 or 6 an the rears widen to 10-11

IPhone set

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
you have a shock out, replace with QA1's adjustable. cut 1 coil for however many inches you wanna drop. adjust the qa1's to the softest setting and drive all day with no probs :).

i have a little over 3 coils cut out and qa1's and my only issue is steep inclines and speed bumps, lol. not too stiff really. just a little....

RichV

Reaction score
1 coil for 1"??? Are you sure about that? My buddy took out 3/4 of a coil and it absolutely DUMPED his Camaro (I know.. I know), probably 2.5". I've never cut springs personally but underatnd you're better off cut a little, then test. Repeat until you get what you need.

To OP, also toss in a set of CC plates for alignment purpose. MM or J&M are good pieces. I really liked my Bilstein shocks with the H&R springs, good functional combo.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
it's not exact but i know one coil took mine down maybe even a little less than an inch. tust me, 1 coil will not dump it at all, lol. barely even drop it. 2 coils all around will be a decent drop and get rid of the gap (like op wants). just need a decent shock and its all good :)

i had eibach springs in the beginning when i first dropped it. didnt do shit! started cutting the coils and not only can ya get more of the stance you want, like the rake, wheel gap...etc. but it doesnt ride as bad as people say. i see no issue whatsoever with cutting coils.

sn95jones

Reaction score
1 coil for 1"??? Are you sure about that? My buddy took out 3/4 of a coil and it absolutely DUMPED his Camaro (I know.. I know), probably 2.5". I've never cut springs personally but underatnd you're better off cut a little, then test. Repeat until you get what you need.

To OP, also toss in a set of CC plates for alignment purpose. MM or J&M are good pieces. I really liked my Bilstein shocks with the H&R springs, good functional combo.

The Camaro does not use the same coils as the Mustang therefore I can see the possibility of one coil = 1"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online

No members online now.