brakes drag so bad the car will stop!!!!!

skatermckimm

Reaction score
97 gt, brakes started dragging and withing moments they basically stopped the car from moving, had to crack the bleeder on the caliper to make it release, then the car drove fine until it started doing it again, same thing!!!!!

So the car has been going just fine for a few days with no problems.....now tonight the brakes locked up again!! WTF

moment we crack the bleeder they release, I have replaced both front hoses. im thinking it could be a master cyclinder?? anyone else thoughts

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are all the brakes dragging or just 1?
If it was the caliper then why does it release when the bleeder screw is opened? I've never seen this before.
To me i sounds like a MC or ABS problem.

chris91

Reaction score
Is it the Caliper closest to the MC/Booster? If so then I could see it being that. Rear caliper could be a sticky ebrake cable? I know I'm dealing with one but its not too bad and been too cold to f**k with it.

RichV

Reaction score
Are all the brakes dragging or just 1?
If it was the caliper then why does it release when the bleeder screw is opened? I've never seen this before.
To me i sounds like a MC or ABS problem.

Agreed. Specially if all 4. It can also be something with the pedal, can it be getting caught up, or staying bound up?

You have the funky power setup that does not have a booster, it uses the power steering pump. Brain fart on the name of this, but maybe start there. Can the traction control be causing the brakes to activate??

VooDoo95Cobra

Reaction score
I dont think the caliper would be the culpret because you state it is releasing fine when you crack the bleeder. something is holing pressure in the caliper. I would look into the proportioning valve or the metering device. ensure the caliper slide pins are properly lubricated just in case. I pull mine and re-lubricate them about twice a year as preventative maintainance.

OP
OP
S

skatermckimm

Reaction score
It is just the passenger front caliper. There is no traction control in the car....I have a small power steering leak but it has full fluid. We unplugged the abs on both front wheels and it still happens. Going to replace the MC and hope that solves the isssues, it seems to only happen when I get on the brakes REALLY hard

Jposey66

Reaction score
Man it would be so cool if people came back and told everyone what the solution was! My front brakes aren't releasing and this sounds like all the same symptoms. Cracking the bajo bolt releases the caliper so it's not seized calipers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online