compression test arrrrrr

Miltoid

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a compression test on my 98 4.6 GT. I haven't been able to get it threaded into any of those deep holes. Does anybody have a trick to get it started?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct hose for that spark plug thread.

Other than that, it’s a straight shot and I’ve never had any issues.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Ensure you have the right thread pitch adapter. My personal kit has multi to choose from.
Check it against your spark plug.
Then I recommend turning the adapter counter-clockwise and then clockwise to get it to start.
Good luck!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Squirt a little bit of motor oil into the cylinders before you thread in the adapter if the motor has been sitting a while.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Would the oil squirted into the cylinder skew with the compression readings?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It will make the readings more accurate. Oil on the cylinder wall is the gasket for the piston, FYI.

OP
OP
M

Miltoid

Reaction score
I just got a new gauge with a 14mm thread and I still can't catch any thread. I'm not familiar with this engine, but you must need something special. How deep do the threads start? I just need to get compression on a dead hole to go forward.

OP
OP
M

Miltoid

Reaction score
It will make the readings more accurate. Oil on the cylinder wall is the gasket for the piston, FYI.
The age-old test for bad rings is to add oil if pressure is low. If it raises compression you have bad rings.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if the engine has sat for a long time and is now dry-firing for the sake of a compression test, add a bit of oil to the cylinder.

OP
OP
M

Miltoid

Reaction score
I finally found a YouTube video where the guy says you need an extended adapter to catch the threads. There aren't any locally, I ordered one from Summit. I'm surprised nobody knew that.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I didn’t realize you were trying to use a short threaded adapter. If you compare how deep the threads are on the plug, you’ll see that the short adapter won’t work.

I apologize for not mentioning that, but that’s kind of what I meant by making sure you had the correct thread. Pitch and depth are both critical.