Convertible top boot cover

TrickVert

Reaction score
Side question... I always through that the "parade boot" was a term for a hard cover used on older convertibles so that in a parade someone could sit on the hard boot with their feet on the bottom of the back seat and be seen while doing the "parade wave" - (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist...).

The only covers I've seen on an SN95 are the soft ones, which I've always heard referred to as simply a cover or a soft cover. If there was an option for a hard cover that would be potentially interesting, though I've never even tried to install the soft cover that came with mine even once, so yeah. I just drop the top and enjoy the drive (well, when ever I can with our weather around here...) and then the top goes right back up again when I park. If I had a garage to store it in, that would be different, but that's a topic for a different thread that mostly contains complaining about the sad state of the economy and my lack of $$$. :)
My cover is in the garage attic and is typically only pulled out for car shows and/or cruises. Otherwise, it's top up & down as needed like you. And you're right... This isn't really a "parade cover" in practice because it will not support the weight of a person sitting on it. (BTW: Boot or not, it's a good idea to store the car with the top up between drives, because I've found that the top material will shrink/rebound a bit when down for an extended period making closing and then latching the thing a PITA.

I have the "parade" cover for my '96 GT. PITA as it does not fit in the trunk.
Mine does. The ends fold in, and fits in the trunk with no problem. I'd guess the '96 cover fits the same way (?).

IMG_20231107_172717252.jpg

PNW Mike

Reaction score
BTW: Boot or not, it's a good idea to store the car with the top up between drives, because I've found that the top material will shrink/rebound a bit when down for an extended period making closing and then latching the thing a PITA.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way. The previous owner stored it in a garage with the top down and a car cover tossed over it to keep most of the dust out, and only took it out on nice days. After I got it and started keeping the top up, it took a while for the top to be easy to put up again. The frame required some adjusting to get it to seal well; even after I had a new top put on it needed some tweaking. I still get a few drips from somewhere if there is heavy rain or wind, so need to play with the adjument some more when I have time... :-(

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The original top material is vinyl correct? Just the 03/04 cobras got the differing material (sourced from jag)?

My top was changed before I bought it. I believe this is a canvas/sailcloth style top?

IMG_6148.jpeg

94IndyPace

Reaction score
I think if referencing a tonoue cover. That’s like the hard top cover that Saleens used and did not fit in the truck. Get caught in the rain and you was screwed

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
The earlier boots are so simple to put on. Not sure i would put snaps on the panels. Id say sell it and grab yourself the earlier boot.

Maybe more simple than the newer ones. My experience has been that it was always incredibly difficult to install. That’s why I only used it twice out of the 24 year of ownership. I did noticed however, that leaving it out flat in direct sunlight (after getting super frustrated with it and leaving it there) it installed more easily. I think that’s the trick. Allowing it to become more flat. Then again, it may have ONLY seen 2 uses its entire life, and that’s why it’s still difficult.

Side question... I always through that the "parade boot" was a term for a hard cover used on older convertibles so that in a parade someone could sit on the hard boot with their feet on the bottom of the back seat and be seen while doing the "parade wave" - (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist...).

This is the only reason I had ever used it. It was so difficult to use, that it was worth allowing the Texas sun to bleach my tops interior cloth.

1999-2000 homecoming parade and in 2020 as a Memorial Day social distancing parade at a retirement community. So I had the DECA king and queen nominees sitting on it, and then later, my 7yo daughter. It’s painful to sit up there without it. But I guess they werent entirely on it directly. I never told them how to sit. No one complained.

I think if referencing a tonoue cover. That’s like the hard top cover that Saleens used and did not fit in the truck. Get caught in the rain and you was screwed

I like mine. It’s not a Saleen. It’s two pieces, and if I get caught in the rain, I can store both in the backseat, protecting the paint with blankets, and put the top up.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I attempted to put mine on today to try and test fit it. What a PITA. I think I need to let it sit out in the sun for a few hours. I couldn’t get it perfectly flat to tuck it under the well trim.

I do like how it changes the look of the car however. Less brown, more black.

IMG_6209.jpeg

With regards to the channel the front flap tucks into, did that change from 94-00 to 0-04? There seems to be a unique shape to lock it in, but I struggled to get it in.

IMG_6211.jpeg

May need to revisit this in the spring. It’s 40 degrees out now. The top isn’t going down to cruise around anytime soon

MUSTANGMAN95

Reaction score
I have same problem with my boot, sags in the two spots shown, can't figure out how to get things even. but working on it!
MUSTANGMAN95

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Anyone with a 01-04 have a photo of the groove behind the rear seat? I want to see if it differs from the 94-00 groove for the boot to fit into?

95opal

Reaction score
Anyone with a 01-04 have a photo of the groove behind the rear seat? I want to see if it differs from the 94-00 groove for the boot to fit into?

They are the same from 94-04
I can literally put the cover on in under a minute. Not sure why everyone struggles with this.

95opal

Reaction score
Maybe more simple than the newer ones. My experience has been that it was always incredibly difficult to install. That’s why I only used it twice out of the 24 year of ownership. I did noticed however, that leaving it out flat in direct sunlight (after getting super frustrated with it and leaving it there) it installed more easily. I think that’s the trick. Allowing it to become more flat. Then again, it may have ONLY seen 2 uses its entire life, and that’s why it’s still difficult.

This is the only reason I had ever used it. It was so difficult to use, that it was worth allowing the Texas sun to bleach my tops interior cloth.

1999-2000 homecoming parade and in 2020 as a Memorial Day social distancing parade at a retirement community. So I had the DECA king and queen nominees sitting on it, and then later, my 7yo daughter. It’s painful to sit up there without it. But I guess they werent entirely on it directly. I never told them how to sit. No one complained.

I like mine. It’s not a Saleen. It’s two pieces, and if I get caught in the rain, I can store both in the backseat, protecting the paint with blankets, and put the top up.

I always hear people say that they can store the 2 piece speedster in the back seat yet I've never seen it done. Being the speedster area is bigger tham the back seat im dying to see the first attempt at cramming those two pieces in the back seat without destroying the paint or speedster.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
They are the same from 94-04
I can literally put the cover on in under a minute. Not sure why everyone struggles with this.

First time struggles.

I'm sure after a few times successfully doing it I will be able to do it quickly as well.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I'll check next time I go into my unfinished basement. Still have my cover in a bag somewhere down there.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I always hear people say that they can store the 2 piece speedster in the back seat yet I've never seen it done. Being the speedster area is bigger tham the back seat im dying to see the first attempt at cramming those two pieces in the back seat without destroying the paint or speedster.

Oh man! Wished I had seen that post. Not sure the exact time of day. But Wednesday afternoon I did just that. I wanted to get the car washed, so I drove it to the gas station, stored the speedster covers in the back seat, and made sure the blankets covered them before putting the top up. I’ll try to take a pic next time. Don’t wanna do it just for a pic. Trying to figure out if winter is coming early this year or not. When I got to put the hardtop on, I’ll get pics for you then.

As far as damaging, I’ve had these since 2001. The only damaged paint it got was when I would store them improperly in the garage or somewhere else. I lean them against walls. It’s possible that they would get knocked over, but after the 2019 respray they seems to do fine. I will say this though, when my husband gets in the car, he could potentially damage it. You see, I am 5’4, so the car is pretty big for me. He’s only 5’11, but still pretty large, so sometimes the outer cover may slip a little closer to the seat, and either he will move the seat all the way back until hearing a scary crunch noise (hasn’t broken anything yet) or he will just dive into the seat, full weight, with however he already had the seat adjusted to.

I will say though that mine have a short middle. At the time, this was the only one on the market that I knew of. Eventually they made a two piece that had the identical longer middle the Saleens had, and I do wonder how well those store.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Started using mine this season. This is the 01-04 version with snaps.

Is it supposed to fit so poorly? I can’t seem to get these ripples out despite time in the sun

IMG_9380.jpeg
IMG_9386.jpeg

Last edited:

96 PONY

Reaction score
My '96 has a rigid cover. PITA to store in the trunk. This is a better design and I wouldn't be worried about the ripples.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I just wish I could iron them out or something. Perhaps next 90+ day I’ll lay it on my deck in the sun with something on top to try and flatten those areas out

96 PONY

Reaction score
I just wish I could iron them out or something. Perhaps next 90+ day I’ll lay it on my deck in the sun with something on top to try and flatten those areas out
That sounds like a good plan. On the other hand (tongue in cheek) maybe its an aerodynamic feature aimed at directing air flow from the interior to under the wing?

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
That's why I bought this. 100 bucks on FB. 300 to have it paint matched

Attachments

• 20230611_093029.jpg
    20230611_093029.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230611_093016.jpg
    20230611_093016.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230611_093805.jpg
    20230611_093805.jpg