Derlin Bushings

Bust3d97

Reaction score
What's everyones opinion on them? I'm looking into buying a set of Global West LCA's-non adjustable . Any info is appreciated.

Andy

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Absolutely no bind, but the road noise will be increased. Comfort is the must subjective topic on the forums, so there really is no way to tell you how well the car will ride. You just have to see for yourself.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are ggod for street applications but not good at all as a performance part

Spd0lit

Reaction score
I believe you are misinformed. Why would MM make derlin bushings on both ends on their extreme Lca if they were not a good performer. P.S. Global west are MM knock off and i have heard horror stories of the welds breaking and leaving you on your butt.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
ıʌɐɾ said:
there are ggod for street applications but not good at all as a performance part

No, it's just the opposite.

Delrin has an extremely high durometer, and allows near-zero deflection. This is good for providing consistent and predictable handling, but is very bad for NVH. I've only had personal experience with them in a k-member, but my racecar has all rod-ends (no bushings) which are only marginally worse in terms of ride quality and comfort. I would not recommend Delrin in a car that sees regular street duty.

IMHO.

Paul.

*edit*

I would also like to add that some deflection is important in stock-type rear mustang suspension. Bushings that have zero or near-zero deflection will tend to bind in a corner since the upper control arms are unable to change length. This will cause the bushings to bind (wheel rate will increase a few thousand percent) and things like snap-oversteer will result. NOt so bad in a straight-line car. Not so good in a streetcar.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Paul, Would you say that derlin Bushings gave you the Most Consistant handling. I have only experienced Poly and Spherical.... was it really that consistent?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I can only surmise based on my understanding of suspension dynamics and bushing durometer that it would behave similarly while being subjected to similar forces. However, I had them on a tube k-member for a car that I never road raced, so I really wouldn't be able to make a judgment about consistent handling performance that would be based on any empirical evidence.

Also, it is important to note the reason that I qualifed my statement in my edit. Mustang rear suspension is inherently flawed in its design, and the many "band aids" in place by Ford (e.g. quad shocks, soft durometer bushings) are required in order to make the suspension behave reasonably (if you can call it that) well in most conditions. I see no real need to put delrin in a rear LCA in this application, though likely the overall SOTP difference will be negligible.

Paul.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I Get It Paul, thanks for Info.

I have only talked to one other person besides you that had derlin Bushings in there car and it was a 03' Cobra that has Derlin's in the IRS. when i talked to him he had not tracked the car either so was not able to give a full opinion.

I know exactly what you mean by Fords "Band Aid"... If just disappoints me that Ford dint just do some redesign of the LCA and Bushings instead of Throwing on the Quad Shock to Fix the BS rain Gutters Ford calls the LCA :nonono:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
It's not really the LCA or the bushings - the entire setup is wrong. The upper control arms are trying to simultaneously locate the axle laterally within the chassis while preventing axle windup. It just doesn't work. This is why three-links are so much more effective. You lower control arms locate the axle longitudinally in the car (along with the upper control arm), the panhard bar or watts link locates the axle laterally, the upper control arm determines pinion angle, and a proper swaybar doesn't attach to the LCAs, but should attach to both the axle and the chassis.

Either way, it is simple to produce, and reasonably effective in most applications. It's just simply not designed to be pushed to the limit in road racing applications.

Paul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online