Engine swap

98 gt gokart

Reaction score
Ok so I need alittle help on essentially going backwards. I know that sound odd but let me explain. I have a wrecked 98 gt manual that has a host of electrical issues. I found a 1995 gt roller that was also a manual. Would it be a one for one swap as far as just take my engine and trans out and drop it in the 95 or will there be harness issues as far as pins being in different locations ? Anything really to worry about? Or mounting hardware?

dalpoas83

Reaction score
Almost nothing is the same. Total different harnesses, kmember, probably trans crossmember, etc if I’m not mistaken. I have to say I think this swap would be more trouble than it’s worth.

If you’re dead set on using that engine and trans probably 96-04 is your best bet. 96-98 direct bolt in 99-04 could work but wouldn’t be real easy

If you want to build that 95 roller I would suggest just sticking to the Sbf windsor platform. Probably just part out what you have and use that cash for new build or maybe trade somebody if you got lucky.

Just my 2 cents, somebody else will have an opinion I’m sure.

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
As mentioned it will be a mess trying to get the modular 4.6 in the '95 chassis. Your best bet would be to sell the wreck and find a a GT40 5.0 engine out of an Explorer. They are plentiful, and cheap.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
You'd have to swap the hydroboost setup in as well, as the vac booster on the 94-95 cars won't clear the 4.6L SOHC valve cover.

1996-1998 roller would be a much better choice, although 1998 was a unique year. A lot of half-year changeovers for things like ABS system and fuel delivery. Early cars were more like 96-97 cars, and later cars started getting some of the 99+ features (like returnless fuel)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.