exhaust system suggestions? 1999

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Step-son just picked up a 1999 GT with 4.6 auto. Has some exhaust leaks and the pipes are about 3" off the ground so it needs some work. He is thinking of replacing the whole exhaust but the car needs some other work and he wants to not break the bank here.
Looks like it has cast manifolds? No cats and looks like Flowmasters. He is thinking about a whole system with headers, new cats and custom bent tubing.
Any suggestions? He will probably be paying a shop to do the work unless he finds a whole kit. We are only about 1 hour from Summit so a trip there is easy. Been there dozens of times over the years

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long tubes are great and all, not fun to install tho. And they hang down a bit, so if the car does any offroading, the headers could be a problem dragging. An aftermarket engine cradle known as a K-member swapped out inplace of the stock kmember does wonders for longtube. Keep in mind the driver side header is really close to the steering shaft and may cause difficulties installing. An aftermarket steering shaft that has steel knucle joints instead of the rag joint the stock shaft has will play well in the long run.

Every exhaust shape and form has been available for these cars in the past. Today time the new exhaust parts selection is getting slim. Check out FB market place in your area for used aftermarket exhaust components like xpipes and hpipes, headers long and short, tailpipes and such. Plenty of good used components out there.

I just picked up a set of brand new stainless shorty headers off of marketplace. $160. And throughout the year i picked up a BBK catless mid H pipe for like $100 if i remember right. All perfectly fine usable parts. All bolt together no major modifications.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
The seller gave him the 'factory' mid pipe with the cats still in it. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Told him to ask his exhaust guy about putting on shorties with that old mid pipe and his existing flowmasters then either bend new tail pipes or re-use the old ones?
The exhaust on it now has a few leaks and is only about 3" off the ground. He also wants rid of the CEL so adding the cats back on should fix that as well as make it smell better...lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That cats really smooth out the exhaust notes and in my opinion kills that great flowmaster sound and any other signature muffler. Itll still sound better than stock mufflers, but will be nice and quiet growl.

Yea mustang specific shorties will bolt directly to any mustang specific midpipe including stock.

20230621_091044.jpg

I snapped a pic of the shorties i picked up locally off FB. They supposedly to be equal length shortys and are something like $220 new. I grabbed them for $160

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
That cats really smooth out the exhaust notes and in my opinion kills that great flowmaster sound and any other signature muffler. Itll still sound better than stock mufflers, but will be nice and quiet growl.

Yea mustang specific shorties will bolt directly to any mustang specific midpipe including stock.

View attachment 27261

I snapped a pic of the shorties i picked up locally off FB. They supposedly to be equal length shortys and are something like $220 new. I grabbed them for $160
$220? Cheapest I have found is about $480. Do you have a source for them at that price?
And how bad are the stock cast irons? Are they prone to cracking or leaking? Might just be a bad gasket but he was leaning towards just replacing everything.
Car will be a cruiser and likely never have any major mods done to the engine. Already has a CAI but doubt he will do much more than that

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
heck even the old factory pipe is worth good money for recycling if you do not use it.

My vote is for side exhaust of course but it isn't the most budget friendly by the time you get done with paint.

98darkhorse.com

Reaction score
BBK New on the Left the Ebays on the right, there is about 5lbs difference in weight between the two. I went 7 months before the ERG tube let loose.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.JPEG
    IMG_1480.JPEG
    260.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0903.JPEG
    IMG_0903.JPEG
    228.3 KB · Views: 7

95opal

Reaction score
If its just a cruiser and hes not going to mod it further. Throw the stock h- pipe back on with the flowmasters he already has. Reuse existing tails. No need to spend a dime unless he needs flowtubes from h-pipe to muffler or new manifold gaskets. He can always throw shorties on it down the road if he wants more growl.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
That’s my thought. He isn’t a gear head but likes fast cars so I’m trying to guide him into leaving the engine alone

NicksGTR

Reaction score
If the stock exhaust manifolds are in good shape, stay away from headers, short or long, shorties are worthless in terms of performance and with longtubes if you have any transmission problems you have to remove the long tube headers to get it out.
I have stock manifolds, 2 1/2 X pipe with high flow cats, Corsa mufflers and 2 1/2 tails. Dyno results with my Vortech V3: 380 rwhp 375 torque. Pretty good with the stock manifolds.

GTamas

Reaction score
Is there a noticeable underhood temperature difference between stock manifold and a ceramic coated shorty?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online