Fuel system issue?

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Hey there fellas and ladies! I am a new guy to the Ford scene as I just acquired my first muscle car in the form of a 95 mustang gt convertible! There is a big issue with it tho: recently coming home, the rpm gauge started to dance up and down, with that came an exhaust pop, and with THAT came jerking under throttle, eventually dying going 70 miles an hour, thankfully was already pulled to the side. The fuel pump was making a sound before this, deduced was that it was cause it had no fuel sock but it was only a piece of rubber that blocked it the hole for the fuel, I replaced both pump and filter. Ran and drove fine for a day, and then started acting up again, basically doing the same thing, tho it runs normally at idle, and now it just acts up with giving it some throttle. I think it's dirty fuel injectors. What do you guys think? I already put some octane booster hoping it would solve the problem, and it did... sort of. Any advice is welcome!!

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Welcome!

Have you tried pulling codes yet?
I need to get a tester but I can. The check engine light only comes on when I accelerate and I'm trying to keep it running for more than 5 minutes. I'll definitely try it though

07GtS197

Reaction score
I need to get a tester but I can. The check engine light only comes on when I accelerate and I'm trying to keep it running for more than 5 minutes. I'll definitely try it though
Obd1 cars don’t necessarily keep the check engine light on all the time if there’s a fault. It has continuous and running codes. If it’s the same issue that keeps lighting up the cel, it should store a continuous code.

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Obd1 cars don’t necessarily keep the check engine light on all the time if there’s a fault. It has continuous and running codes. If it’s the same issue that keeps lighting up the cel, it should store a continuous code.
I finally got a scanner and ran it. I got codes 10, 111, 157, 211, 212, 327, and 332. 332 is what I'm scared about not gonna lie cause it's apparently egr stuff.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I finally got a scanner and ran it. I got codes 10, 111, 157, 211, 212, 327, and 332. 332 is what I'm scared about not gonna lie cause it's apparently egr stuff.
211 and 212 are the ones I’d focus on. It sounds pip related, likely the distributor which would explain the stalling. How old is the distributor?

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
211 and 212 are the ones I’d focus on. It sounds pip related, likely the distributor which would explain the stalling. How old is the distributor?
Not that old, it's an msd and fairly brand new

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
The cap is actually, I would suspect that the actual distributor is the og one.

07GtS197

Reaction score
It could be the pip inside the distributor then. When the signal gets erratic or it loses pip altogether it’ll stall suddenly.

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
It could be the pip inside the distributor then. When the signal gets erratic or it loses pip altogether it’ll stall suddenly.
Yeah could be it actually. Cause I never got a code for dirty fuel injectors, which relieved me a bit

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Would I be better off getting a whole new distributor or fixing the one I have?

07GtS197

Reaction score
If you have someone local with a known good one I’d swap that in before ordering anything.

I’m not 100% but I think you need at least a press to get the gear and pip out so if you don’t at least have that then I’d just get a new one.

Wmac

Reaction score
The gear can be removed with a small bearing splitter, but will need to be carefully "tapped" in place. Press is the preferred method.

Jon95GT

Reaction score
You could try a Cardone 30-2888 reman distributor if you don't have a press or a shop that can change the PIP sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online