Car acting like it’s starving of fuel when driving

devvy

Reaction score
Hello! Since wednesday night i’ve been trying to figure out what’s causing my car to act like it’s starving of fuel. It will barely want to accelerate no matter how much throttle i’m giving it, then it’ll randomly kick in and accelerate normally for a second, then go back to sputtering. Every once in a while it will just start driving normally for a few mins then go back to struggling. When i’m coming out of a stop it almost dies, drops down to like 800 rpm and really struggles to get back up. I assumed a clogged fuel filter, just replaced it, it did absolutely nothing to help. Spark plugs were replaced like 2 months ago so I doubt that’s the issue. All vacuum lines looked fine from the eye except for the hose to the left of the evap solenoid, looked pretty messed up. The car starts up fine, but idles a bit low and rough at times which only started happening since all this happened. I can hear the fuel pump prime but maybe it’s just not giving enough fuel under load? Any ideas?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Could be some other ignition issue (coil / coil pack / wires / etc (depending on what kind of ignition system it is based on model year)).

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Injectors good? Timing adjustment??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+1, but didn’t want to lay that on him :-(

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
PIP failing crossed my mind

Thats classic PIP!

Hey devvy, if your car still has the stock distributor than im gonna say 100% PIP!

Most Fords are notorious for this problem pre95. The pip still works but the information it sends to the computer is jumping around. Simple and cheap fix. Remove rotor cap on distributor, remove rotor and reluctor wheel that the pip registers from, might need to remove tfi module to perform this swap. If this aint the problem, ill be surprised.

95opal

Reaction score
If the PIP is failing you can test for injector pulse with a noid light. If the injectors ate firing then it isnt the PIP.

OP
OP
D

devvy

Reaction score
Thats classic PIP!

Hey devvy, if your car still has the stock distributor than im gonna say 100% PIP!

Most Fords are notorious for this problem pre95. The pip still works but the information it sends to the computer is jumping around. Simple and cheap fix. Remove rotor cap on distributor, remove rotor and reluctor wheel that the pip registers from, might need to remove tfi module to perform this swap. If this aint the problem, ill be surprised.
Hey! Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna be replacing the fuel pump tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it I'll check out the PIP. Does part look right to you? # MEA2263 / LX-237 look right to you?

OP
OP
D

devvy

Reaction score
Injectors good? Timing adjustment??
I think if the injectors were failing it wouldn't go back to driving normally here and there but I could be wrong. They could be dirty, I'll spray some carb cleaner or throttle cleaner on them. As for timing adjustment, I haven't adjusted it at all if that's what you're asking.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think if the injectors were failing it wouldn't go back to driving normally here and there but I could be wrong. They could be dirty, I'll spray some carb cleaner or throttle cleaner on them. As for timing adjustment, I haven't adjusted it at all if that's what you're asking.
Yes, sir, it was just me throwing in a couple of the MANY things it could be but (hopefully) worth considering as you weed through the multitude of possibilities here.
I don’t doubt that found these pretty obvious, but sometimes a little reminder can help keep you focused amidst the whirlwind of possibilities to run through on your checklist.

Good luck with the process of elimination and please keep us posted. Waiting to read your post when the issue is resolved! Cheers!

OP
OP
D

devvy

Reaction score
Update: fuel pump assembly installed, tank looks absolutely perfect no rust whatsoever. Took it for a test drive, problem not fixed. Onto the PIP. When changing the PIP, am I just changing the whole distributor? Could I get some elaboration. Thank you.

Edit: I already have an aftermarket distributor. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Come out cheaper replacing the pick up in the distributor
Sure its not a cap rotor problem

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Update: fuel pump assembly installed, tank looks absolutely perfect no rust whatsoever. Took it for a test drive, problem not fixed. Onto the PIP. When changing the PIP, am I just changing the whole distributor? Could I get some elaboration. Thank you.

Edit: I already have an aftermarket distributor. Any other ideas?

Stock replacement aftermarket or like MSD or another vendor?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What aftermarket distributor do you have? Did you install the distributor?

Its possible Your scenario may very well NOT be a bad component/components. This could be the result of old wiring and connections. Wires rub their insulating jacket off, exposing wire, possible shorting out. Connections could be separating, barely making contact. I guess after throwing a bunch of parts at it with no real fix, inspecting the wire harness really really close or just swapping it out for new.

Man i hope you get this figured out! Keep us informed

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i know MSD distributers you can swap the pickups out with one from AutoZone or Oreilly's
there universal on my MSD i got the motor craft one that fits

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Here is an older thread to read

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online