H&R ss + Bilsteins (tokico blue woes)

Slykin

Reaction score
No idea how that feels at all haha. The nicest driving car i've ever driven was a stock mazda 3. My car is the sportiest car that has ever been in my family line LOL. As long as I don't blow the bilsteins then i'll be fine, I just don't want to waste money by ruining the bilsteins. I've been DD'ing this thing on blown shocks/sportlines for 4 months now, 50 miles round trip for school..

5litrarag

Reaction score
No idea how that feels at all haha. The nicest driving car i've ever driven was a stock mazda 3. My car is the sportiest car that has ever been in my family line LOL. As long as I don't blow the bilsteins then i'll be fine, I just don't want to waste money by ruining the bilsteins. I've been DD'ing this thing on blown shocks/sportlines for 4 months now, 50 miles round trip for school..

Damn.

Then when you do the swap its gonna feel like a caddy to you then.... hahaha Good luck man.

Slykin

Reaction score
Yeah, I realized just how bad it was after riding in my dad's 3500 dually pickup and thinking how smooooth it was haha.

Thanks man, I might need it!

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The reason its riding better is because the SS springs are so low, they basically almost sit the car on the snubber so the suspension in back has almost zero travel. And that travel is very important to getting good ride quality and not hearing and feeling every dip or bump in the road.
You can probably take another 1/2 - 3/4 inch off it if you wanted to or just get the MM snubber...its like 20 bucks I think.
As for the rating of the springs... its not so much that the springs have a poor rating... they are fine. The word "poorly" should be followed by the word "matched" in that statement. The problem is the rate of the springs (the amount of weight required to compress the spring 1 inch) is too high for the dampers in place. Thats a quick and dirty explanation of it. For a better and more technical description, call up MM when you order your shorter snubber and ask them what they think would be a good match for your springs. But keep in mind they are probably gonna try and upsell you into their proprietary dampers($$$) they sell now or a set of Koni yellows ($$$$).
But if you get someone to talk straight with you, they will most likely tell you to just dump the D-specs because they arent strong enough for the spring you are running and that Bilsteins are what you need.

Actually I was referring to my cobra with the B springs. I never realized how important that snubber was. You explained it very well, makes sense. I just had no clue where it was until the gear swap lol. I think the 1/4" cut was great for the B springs. It now has proper suspension travel. I don't I need to buy the MM snubber lol. Also when I buy the H&Rs they come with a proper pinion snubber.
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I figured they were poorly mismatched. Your explanation makes sense even if it's not technical lol.

Yeah MM is legit but they will try and sell me the more costly parts haha. Yeah I'll be getting the Bilsteins and H&R's in may along with MM CC plates. As well as MM subframe connectors. I just installed the MM control arms last night; what a difference! Car feels planted at all times.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Also why is everyone so concerned over getting new LCAs here? Specially Heavy Duty?!?! Crazy talk.. lol. Dont worry about the quadshocks, if you are replace them. If your worried about rubbing some fatty tires. Turn them upside down..

Stick with the stock LCAs for now. Get the bilsteins, H&R SS and some MM4-bolt CC plates, and never, ever look back.

Hell if you guys are quick. Maximum Motorsports are still having a sale on Koni dampers... Thanks to the sale I just spent 1k the other day and now have all the parts on the way to finish a suspension rebuild(thats after already owning the springs and front dampers) and make it handle very well, comparatively to some.

Other than that. 5litr is doing a good job in here!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online