Hood Latch Release Cable Replacement

BigBillFL

Reaction score
I was able to get the cable threaded properly, but I don't think I got the rubber grommet at the firewall in properly. I am having a devil of a time getting my hand up there to feel the grommet.

Any way to tell if the grommet is in its proper place? Any easy way to get the grommet in place? Is it necessary to have the grommet in place, or is it in a place where water intrusion will not be a problem?

I was thinking I may stick my phone up there and snap a picture?

The hood release is working properly and is routed properly.

I have a 1994 Indy 500 with only 28K miles. The failure of the hood latch release seemed a bit premature, but it is 30 years old. The bracket broke.

Thank you.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like your “camera” idea is your best shot really. And regarding water intrusion, it doesn’t seem like that would be an issue, but then again with water, it tends to find ways to get wherever and anywhere.

The grommet, in that location, is gonna be tough, especially if you’re an older, broken down bag of bones (like me!). If you can at least get eyes on the grommet, maybe a plastic tool to pinch it in there gradually? Or you can go with 100% “good ol’ American ingenuity” and use some kind of silicone or plumbers putty or the like.

OP
OP
B

BigBillFL

Reaction score
Thank you. Your replies were spot on. Now to climb into that tiny interior and push that grommet into place.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LOL! Good luck with it. Getting down there and up behind the dash is a chore, hassle and uncomfortable. Getting out is another thing entirely! With my broken down bag-of-bones body, I feel like I should have one other person and an engine hoist to get be back out!!

Pallgor

Reaction score
I had a water leak at my firewall at the hood cable. Took a while to finally figure where the water was coming in. I packed “dum dum”( strip caulk) around the grommet and it stopped it

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a water leak at my firewall at the hood cable. Took a while to finally figure where the water was coming in. I packed “dum dum”( strip caulk) around the grommet and it stopped it
See? Sometimes the simplest solution!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online