Lares Steering components??

Jposey66

Reaction score
So, been chasing issues with my hydroboost and steering system with no real luck. I think it may come down to inferior reman parts (I used Cardone). Does anyone have any experience with Lares Corporation steering parts? Looks like they are the only "new" option for power steering pump and steering rack, other than expensive flaming river racks.

Lares 97 Mustang 4.6 Steering Components

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have no experience,...sorry
But you have come to the right place for info because someone that hangs around here will know exactly what you are asking.

What is your current problem with the steering? What symptoms or how is it acting?

OP
OP
J

Jposey66

Reaction score
I have no experience,...sorry
But you have come to the right place for info because someone that hangs around here will know exactly what you are asking.

What is your current problem with the steering? What symptoms or how is it acting?
I have replace the rack twice, the pump twice, and the hydroboost twice, all with newly remanufactured parts from Cardon. Still get the same issue. After a month or so the power assist starts becoming erratic, especially under higher RPM. Start buzzing it up close to redline and, if I'm in a turn, it feels like the steering almost locks but seems that i'm just loosing power assist.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I have used the original Ford C-III pump in both virgin form and remanufactured form, as well as the 'new' Lares aluminum pumps. Stay away from the Lares. They're trash. I burned up three of them within a month or two max. Sadly the Ford C-III pumps weren't that good to begin with and all the originals in circulation are re-man'd and not to a good specification/standard either. The original Fords are at least cast iron so usually about the worst they'll do is just squeal like a scalded cat. On the bright side you can tell people it's your supercharger.

Talk to Lee Power Steering, I think the might have a C-III option that could very well end up being a drop-in replacement with no mods necessary to existing hydraulic lines. Just tell them you situation and they may be able to help. And FWIW, don't use the original Ford Mercon V transmission fluid even though that's what the manual calls for; get a specially formulated P/S fluid from Lee or some other steering outfit.

I will say that after crossing this bridge myself quite recently, I settled on going with a GM Type-II pump (with a little bit of necessary fabrication to make it work) and I couldn't be happier. The pump design is far superior to the Ford pumps of this era and so wide-spread and accepted in just about every automotive community in existence that it's fail-proof.

Attachments

• 20231201_115753.jpg
    20231201_115753.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231201_122536.jpg
    20231201_122536.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 8

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
We have a few guys that have swapped in the electric Volvo power steering pump with great success. I think its really cool and cleans up the engine bay some. This may be an option for you.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have replace the rack twice, the pump twice, and the hydroboost twice, all with newly remanufactured parts from Cardon. Still get the same issue. After a month or so the power assist starts becoming erratic, especially under higher RPM. Start buzzing it up close to redline and, if I'm in a turn, it feels like the steering almost locks but seems that i'm just loosing power assist.

The hydrobooster just uses a pass through for the high pressure line coming off the pump. If you didn't have an issue with the brakes, no need to replace that.

If the steering becomes erratic and brake assist is lost, then i would suspect the pump. If you still have ful braking assist when the steering is erratic, then I would look at the rack.

Sadly, reman power steering pumps are just hit or miss these days.

OP
OP
J

Jposey66

Reaction score
The hydrobooster just uses a pass through for the high pressure line coming off the pump. If you didn't have an issue with the brakes, no need to replace that.

If the steering becomes erratic and brake assist is lost, then i would suspect the pump. If you still have ful braking assist when the steering is erratic, then I would look at the rack.

Sadly, reman power steering pumps are just hit or miss these days.
Some times it seems that, when this is happening, the braking affects the steering, which would lead me to think maybe the pressure is low. This would make we want to go after the pump first

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good thinking ^

This is all new to me as I have never had an issue like it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online