New cable, clutch feels fine, but doesnt work, any thoughts?

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
Okay so basically I bought this car (96 gt) a few weeks ago and it's been my daily since. Been pretty good to me other than blowing a radiator hose and alt ( one led to the other after trying to do donuts ) I fixed those and it was running fine for another few weeks. All of a sudden I start getting very bad vibration and a hard start issue, I've got to pump the gas and such. Then I walk out to my car, try to start it and I can't put it into gear.

My friends dad worked a ton on these cars and said it sounds like quadrant issues so I've replaced the whole cable and installed a steeda firewall adjustable clutch. My clutch feels perfect(has a very good bite point and pressure) however I still can't put it into gear. If I start it in gear however it doesn't move while the clutch is down.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Just try it. When you can easily shift into gear, take it the car out and check if the clutch slips. By the way, whatever are you using for transmission oil?

OP
OP
96mustanggt4.6

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
Just try it. When you can easily shift into gear, take it the car out and check if the clutch slips. By the way, whatever are you using for transmission oil?
I'm not sure of what the oil is I just recently bought the car I haven't done any fluids yet

Adfalenski

Reaction score
My 2000 uses ATF. If I use 70/90wt lube it will cause some gear drag making it difficult to shift. If the previous owner used the wrong transmission fluid it could cause shifting and clutch problems but your problem still sounds like adjustment problems. Somebody mentioned a possible quadrant problem - you should also take a look under the dash and make sure that the clutch cable is still riding in the groove on the quadrant.

OP
OP
96mustanggt4.6

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
My 2000 uses ATF. If I use 70/90wt lube it will cause some gear drag making it difficult to shift. If the previous owner used the wrong transmission fluid it could cause shifting and clutch problems but your problem still sounds like adjustment problems. Somebody mentioned a possible quadrant problem - you should also take a look under the dash and make sure that the clutch cable is still riding in the groove on the quadrant.
So if tightening the cable doesn't work do you think i should change the fluid, because there is no way to tell what's in there?

OP
OP
96mustanggt4.6

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the fluid for now.
So I tightened it as much as I could, furthest notch on the quadrant aswell as all the way out on the firewall adjuster and no luck, it still won't go into gear

Adfalenski

Reaction score
The only thing left that I can think of is that the control arm that engages the throwout bearing Is not on the pivot ball. Disconnect the clutch cable from the control arm and attempt to reengage the far end of the control arm on the pivot ball. Loosen the clutch cable and reinstall. I am out of ideas.

OP
OP
96mustanggt4.6

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
The only thing left that I can think of is that the control arm that engages the throwout bearing Is not on the pivot ball. Disconnect the clutch cable from the control arm and attempt to reengage the far end of the control arm on the pivot ball. Loosen the clutch cable and reinstall. I am out of ideas.
Is that something I can do without dropping the trans?

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Yes. At worst you may have to loosen the transmission bolts but not take them all the way out.

is there anyone out there out there with a picture of the transmission that shows the pivot ball?

OP
OP
96mustanggt4.6

96mustanggt4.6

Reaction score
Yes. At worst you may have to loosen the transmission bolts but not take them all the way out.

is there anyone out there out there with a picture of the transmission that shows the pivot ball?
You're the only one that has replied to the thread so far but I will look online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online