New member from Illinois

JohnTaper

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I'm new to this board but not new to mustangs or cars in general for that matter. I'm an auto tech and the first mustang I owned was an 84 1/2 mustang GT 350.
My new baby is a 96 mustang GT. I bought it a couple weeks back really cheap. The reverse is out in the automatic trans and somebody hardwired the cooling fan. other than that the car is in amazingly good shape except for the paint fading on the hood. I've already got a guy trading me all of the manual swap items tomorrow including the t-45 itself.
Car has 109,000 miles and I picked it up for 1,200 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. Well here's some pics. I already yanked the engine and trans and will be going back in the same way with the manual since it seemed to go very smoothly.
I guess there is one more issue. The front right tire is sitting too far back in the wheelwell. I've got the K-member out right now and there was some room to go forward but I don't know if it is enough. K-member and control arm don't look bent but it is hard to say. I'm hoping moving the k-member as far forward as it can go in the slots on the pass side will resolve this problem. If not off to the frame shop for measurements I suppose. Well anyway, I look forward to hearing from everybody and contributing myself when I can. Also I have been doing some reading and from what I understand to make the auto crossmember work I will either have to get a offset mount or elongate the mount locater holes on the cross member. Is this correct?

Mustang1.jpg

mustang3.jpg

mustang2.jpg

mustangengineout2.jpg

mustangengineout.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! and good luck with the mods.
regrards to your question, I think you'll have to modify the crossmember, possibly get a different mounting block.
just make sure the pinion is correct once your done.

on the K member, make sure it's squared w/ same measurement on both sides, and get it aligned. they should be able to tell you if anything is bent.

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
welcome! and that wasnt a bad buy at all! It a good project and im glad to see your on your to making it a BA!! keep us posted on the build

OP
OP
JohnTaper

JohnTaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and all. Probably not the place to post this but does anybody know if the space in front and behind the front wheels to the wheelwells is supposed to be the same distance. Like say 2 " of space in front and behind front tire to wheelwells. I realize different tire and wheel sizes would effect this measurement I am just wondering if they are supposed to be offset front and back or just equal distance. Any info or direction to info is greatly appreciated.

I also found out why the body is in such great shape. There is no rust on this car whatsoever. I did a carfax and it's from California. It's only been near Illinois for 4 years. Other than that it was bought and registered in California. This thing just keeps getting better and better. I'm also lining up some black interior because I'm not a big fan of the tan and I'm planning on keepin this car for the long haul so I'm gonna have it solid as hell and the way I like it. There are too many things I am going to do to it so I'm sure I'll make a build thread here soon once I start gettin all the parts. Still waiting on the manual swap at this point. I'm not moving forward until I know I have this stuff first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlmobile636

Members online