Newb Question: Installing Headers & X Pipe

Reaction score
Ok, me and my brother are going to try to put on some 1 5/8" bassani equal length headers on my 94 cobra. I have never put any headers on any car before and have no idea if this is going to be extremely difficult or not.

So...

Is it just bolt off bolt on? Or what do I have to do?
Anything special I need to know about before hand or any tools that I wouldn't regularly have?

Thanks.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i put a set of equal lengths on my car. they were not difficult imo. there are extra things to do to make it easier. i took the battery out and unbolted the a/c compressor to get the lines out of the way. u will need to make something for the dipstick to bolt to. u will have to take the large nuts off of the motormounts and jack the engine up a few inches. a swivel socket for the plugs will make it much easier to get them in. i have shorter cut plugwires and have had no problems with burnt plugwires. thats about all i can think of at the moment good luck and just take your time and dont rush anything and u shouldnt have any problems

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, I unbolted the headers and everything stopping the headers from staying in, how do I take them out? They wont slide out through bottom,

do I have to take everything out above it and take them out from the top? Any input would be great.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
they should come out from the top. mine came right out with not troubles. are they stuck to the head? if so just pry them off. the new ones should go in from the top too.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Part of the intake is in the way, and a couple other things. This is pretty much all stock, the bay is crowded with all the useless things that come on it.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
u will have to remove the intake plumbing and possibly the throttle body too. also the rubber tubing for the smog pump will need to be taken off. the driver side should come right out.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I got the passenger header out after about 2 hours, new header won't fit in. Gets stuck between the spring tower and the motor. Car's going to a monday garage. Driver side theirs a pipe that goes down into what looks to be a filter, and it doesn't look like the pipe just unbolts and comes out so I'm not even going to bother. Thanks for the help though mang.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
you have to take the bolts from the motor mounts and jack the engine up a few inches it will make life a lot easier i thought i mentioned that earlier. dont give up on it its not that hard man. just some patience will do the trick. post pics up asap and maybe i can give you more guidence. you will appreciate it more if you did it yourself.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
http://www.stage8.com/products_lhb.html

If you haven't done so already, purchase those locking header bolts to save yourself from a world of hurt. Without them tightening header bolts will become a weekly routine, otherwise you'll become an expert on header gasket removal.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
i did mine and didn't have to jack the engine. passenger side went in from the top and driver side from the bottom . you may also have to disconnect the steering shaft . don't give up it's not that hard. YOU CAN DO IT

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Am I going to have to replace the header gasket too?

and

fixthedoor said:

If you haven't done so already, purchase those locking header bolts to save yourself from a world of hurt. Without them tightening header bolts will become a weekly routine, otherwise you'll become an expert on header gasket removal.
Anyone else confirm this?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
confirmed the bolts will back out. if you don't stay up on keeping them tight the gaskets will blow too

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
those stage 8 bolts are probably one of the best investments I or any body else can make... yes they are kinda of a pain, but devote a evening to it and it is worth it! on mine some of the washers wouldnt fit on my mac shorties so i took a file and took a lil off the edge of the washers... work like a charm!... be prepaired for sweating/swearing and throwing... but its better than trying to tighten some of those bolts that you cant get to when all your other stuff is on.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
fixthedoor said:

i didn't use locking header bolts on mine, I used what BBK sent me, let it go for a week and re tightened them, haven't touched it since and 5 months later, no exhaust leaks and bolts are still tight.

i_love_my_stang

Reaction score
for the driver side on my car i had to pull the brake fluid lines and reservoir and with the passenger side well i'm still tring to put that one in lol it keeps getting stuck on the smog pump lines or on the body

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
realitygt said:
fixthedoor said:

i didn't use locking header bolts on mine, I used what BBK sent me, let it go for a week and re tightened them, haven't touched it since and 5 months later, no exhaust leaks and bolts are still tight.
yea dude their like 60 bucks f that nonsense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online