OEM courtesy lights?

b1pig

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the SN95 was prewired for floor (under dash) courtesy lights? I lucked out with a few other older vehicles (mostly Mopars)... the ones I had were low trim and didn't have courtesy lights under the dash. But I was able to find they were prewired.

Curious if these cars might be the same and where I might find the harness if equipped.

The convertible only had them on the mirror, which was damaged on my car. Thinking I might put some lights under the dash this weekend to light the floor up. Would be convenient to have a harness nearby to connect to.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not many fords had lights down there, gm did it a lot. I know this because it is an easy place to use as a door trigger for alarms and one of the reasons gm's are easier to put alarms in than fords. You should be able to find the wires in the kick panels but it will take some digging. I can't remember the color now as it has been a few years.

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
I figured it out.

I did some google searches and found courtesy light harnesses for sale on ebay. With that, I pulled the a-pillar covers off of the car and traced the harness. For CONVERTIBLES, the harness runs across the top of the windshield from the mirror, down the passenger side a-pillar to the side of the dash. The harness is pinned to the body behind and to the right of the glovebox. Pulled that out and found a junction plug. Since I'm not using the upper harness, I cut it above the plug. The black is ground, green is battery and black with blue trace is the courtesy light.

The clear LED lights I was going to use was depressingly dim. As much as I would rather have white/cool-white LED lighting for the courtesy lights, I had a pair of blue LED strips that I never installed on our boat.... sssssoooooo.... I have them installed. The clear lights I had already ran before I tested them. Now I remember why I used some of the LED modules on my kids' power wheels jeep several years ago. They're useless. I just tied the wires up and left them. The blue turned out good. My phone died while I was out there. I'll post up some pics of the harness location tomorrow. Ok.. later today since it's already 2am. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing the coupe should be pretty much the same as the 'vert to keep the body harnesses as much the same as possible. Might prove useful for someone else.

Till then, here's a pic of the interior with the "courtesy" lights on.
1705216515322.png

OP
OP
b1pig

b1pig

Reaction score
As I said... "tomorrow"....

Top of the harness where it plugs into the mirror... for the convertible at least. i think the coupe will be different. Maybe. I've no idea.

1705284534074.png

Harness along a-pillar
1705284627064.png

With the glovebox removed, looking up and towards the lower a-pillar....
1705284731189.png

Black- Ground
Geen/Yel- 12v batt
Blk/Blu- Door..... 12v+ when door is opened.

Attachments

• 1705284261147.png
    1705284261147.png
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 2

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looks like a good post to sticky to the section. I was gonna but just realized I can't anymore.

TrickVert

Reaction score
As you discovered, this is a DIY project. I installed incandescent under-dash lights shortly after I bought my '95 back in 2006 (before LED lights were readily available). They look very "period correct" to me. I also installed green LED "panel lights" in the door handle cups so they glow a little at night, and can be more easily found.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.