Panhard Bar

White Pony

Reaction score
I'd like to get a panhard bar for my 2000 v6 coupe and have come across one from a company called Scotidi that has some interesting features. Anyone have any experience with these and what are your thoughts? Any input appreciated.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Congratulations. You just signed up to be the guinea pig.

@badass98svt

Never heard of them. Interesting concept and cool that you can keep your exhaust “without issue”. We’ve mainly used the tried and true method.

IMG_5156.jpeg

Dug around their website and found something I’m interested in… A not polycarbonate-or-plexiglass-but-not-glass, rear window that saves 15 lbs. Since I’m on a weight reduction kick, this is awesome.

OP
OP
W

White Pony

Reaction score
Have a link?
I run the MM bar and love it
Thanks for the response. Here's a link to Scotidi's page on American Muscle's site. The main advantage of their bar is ease of installation, as the bar mounts using the quad shock mounting holes in the subframe. I'm curious if you've done any other rear suspension mods and have you noticed an increase in NVH with the bar?

OP
OP
W

White Pony

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Here's a link to Scotidi's page on American Muscle's site. The main advantage of their bar is ease of installation, as the bar mounts using the quad shock mounting holes in the subframe. I'm curious if you've done any other rear suspension mods and have you noticed an increase in NVH with the bar?
Sorry, looks like the link didn't attach. I'll try again https://www.americanmuscle.com/scotidi-race-development-mustang-panhard-bar-kit-008-005-0291.html

badass98svt

Reaction score

Yes, I have H&R SS springs on the back, Steeda rear sway bar, MM LCA, Bilstein shocks (no quad shocks), and the MM PHB

I noticed a clunk/thud in the back on some bumps but I'm not sure if it's the bar hitting the exhaust or what. Could be anything. It's never bothered me enough to investigate it too much.
My tailpipes are LMR 87-93 LX tailpipes which are said to clear the MM PHB per the MM website. So who knows really. I will look into more this season and see where the clunk is coming from.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
NVH? Hard to tell. But I can hear the smile on your face.

Every single time!

To be fair, my entire suspension is solid mounted, rod ends or Delrin bushings. It’s fairly harsh, definitely vibrates and she’s a screamer.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have the Maximum Motorsports PHB on my Foxbody. I didn't noticed any real difference in NVH.

I'm running the flowmaster tailpipes, and while tight, it does clear without hitting. I like the bar, but I feel that I need to install the torque arm to get the full benefit of the setup. It's on my To-DO list shortly....

1709748742873.png

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have the Maximum Motorsports PHB on my Foxbody. I didn't noticed any real difference in NVH.

I'm running the flowmaster tailpipes, and while tight, it does clear without hitting. I like the bar, but I feel that I need to install the torque arm to get the full benefit of the setup. It's on my To-DO list shortly....

View attachment 33194

You'll enjoy it, guaranteed.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Looks like it mounts a little high for super low roll center, but install does look simple and you do keep the exhaust.

OP
OP
W

White Pony

Reaction score
Thanks for both of your comments. Regarding roll center, if I understand correctly, it's the height of axle end's attachment point, which is clearly several inches higher than MM's. My car is strictly street so I'm not concerned with getting absolute highest cornering speed, I just don't like the back end flopping around the way it does now. My big concern with the Scotidi bar is the attachment of the frame end of the bar doesn't seem very robust. It'll never get the kind of stress a racecar does but I wonder if it's even strong enough for street use. Any opinion on that?

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the back end of the car "flopping around?" Do you have a rear sway bar on the car? What other rear suspension mods have you made?

OP
OP
W

White Pony

Reaction score
Only suspension mod I've made is CC plates last summer, which made a noticeable difference not just in directional stability but overall steering feel. Since then I've become more aware of what's going on in the back end. Taking a curving exit or connecting ramp for example, at around 50 mph, is a definite two step process. Turn the wheel the car rotates, and then almost immediately following, the back end shifts out slightly. It's almost simultaneous but definitely two separate motions. I'm assuming that's the rear bushings getting compressed or maybe the whole body shifting. At that speed it's not enough to even coming close to losing control, it's subtle but there. And on a bumpy curve at even 30 mph the back end jiggles like a five year old who's about to piss his pants. That's what I'm hoping to eliminate with the panhard bar. BTW I've seen a lot of your videos on youtube. Very well made and lots of great info. Thanks for doing them and posting them.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That sounds like a hallmark of worn, rubber control arm bushings and, possibly, wore out shocks.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Only suspension mod I've made is CC plates last summer, which made a noticeable difference not just in directional stability but overall steering feel. Since then I've become more aware of what's going on in the back end. Taking a curving exit or connecting ramp for example, at around 50 mph, is a definite two step process. Turn the wheel the car rotates, and then almost immediately following, the back end shifts out slightly. It's almost simultaneous but definitely two separate motions. I'm assuming that's the rear bushings getting compressed or maybe the whole body shifting. At that speed it's not enough to even coming close to losing control, it's subtle but there. And on a bumpy curve at even 30 mph the back end jiggles like a five year old who's about to piss his pants. That's what I'm hoping to eliminate with the panhard bar. BTW I've seen a lot of your videos on youtube. Very well made and lots of great info. Thanks for doing them and posting them.
I agree with white95 that your issue is more likely due to worn out suspension parts (and the fact that your car didn't come with a rear sway bar). Before I put the IRS in my 2004 V6, I drove it on the street with the SRA (with and without a rear sway bar). It wasn't the best handling car, but it didn't exhibit the issue you're having. Adding a rear sway bar helped a lot. Before you purchase an expensive part that might not solve your problem, it's worth inspecting all of the rear suspension components and bushings. You might also want to find a 23mm or 24mm OEM rear sway bar and put that on the car. MPS Auto Salvage in GA used to be a good resource for OEM sway bars.

A Panhard bar is what I refer to as a "next level" rear end suspension mod. It's something you install after improving other parts of the rear suspension system (taking into account the suggestions of the Panhard bar manufacturer). If everything else in your rear suspension is worn out, the Panhard bar isn't going to be as effective.

Thank you for watching my videos! I'm glad they're helpful. I'm always happy to answer any suspension questions you have.

OP
OP
W

White Pony

Reaction score
I had the car inspected by my mechanic when I bought it four years ago and it got a clean bill of health although I don't know how closely he would have looked at the rear suspension bushings. The front end got a close inspection last summer when the CC plates went in, the shocks and struts look fairly new and there are no noises anywhere. We'll take a good look at the rear bushings when I take it in for an oil change next month. Once again, appreciate everyone's time and expertise.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Stock control arms?

I'd look at these before band-aiding the problem with a PHB. You shouldn't really be feeling any sort of looseness back there. I'd probably recommend a set of MM Sport or Heavy Duty lower control arms and a fresh set of upper control arms and axle bushings. LCA's at a min would prob help your issue.

I had a set of these on my car well before installing the PHB and the rear was solid. Like said, the PHB is a mod to help finesse the suspension and take it to next level, not meant to "correct" things like a shifting rear axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online