plastidip spraying cowl, and rubber seals?

NCMystic

Reaction score
my cowl is fading and i was wondering if plasti spraying it may be the best option? thought of plastidip spraying the center console as well or should i just replace it?

also those rubber bits in it where the hood brackets raise are very weathered and i'd like to replace them, anyone know where i can buy some identical replacements?

also the weather striping at the top and bottom of the rear window is weathered and i'd like to replace it, anyone know where i can get some oem replacements for those?

thanks all

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I would just go ahead and paint the cowl. I sprayed mine a while ago with just regular rustoleum satin black and it still looks great. As for the rubber trim check out latemodelrestoration, they normally have that type of stuff. I would also just replace the center console or dye it.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
it's not the whole center console but the plastic part with the vent registers and radio slot etc

rustoleum better than plastidip for the cowl? i'm surprised

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I think painting it would be more of a permanent solution but if you just want it to be temporary plastidip would would. Over time though it might start to peel
Here is my wiper cowl that I painted

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
that does look really sharp, what kind of paint? and should i use adhesion promoter ?

thanks man

chris91

Reaction score
Do me a favor and wax the cowl. I swear itll look better! Dont let the wax dry, just apply and take it off right away.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
will do chris. im going to try to get the lexan in before the head swap and probably do the seals after that

CWO

Reaction score
Have you considered an aerosol that is designed to do exactly what you need? Something l like SEM brand trim paint? Maybe like a SEM39143?

JKady

Reaction score
I Plastidipped my cowl last night, looks about like that SEM paint, though obviously not as permanent.

thorco3

Reaction score
I wouldn't do any of those options...

I vote use interior detailer. Meg's makes a nice one something called like natural shine. It will make your wiper cowl look like new... yes after it rains and sits in the rain it will look a bit faded again, but you do it a couple more times and it will eventually retain the darker color.

5litrarag

Reaction score
I used duplicolor trim black on my cowl, mirrors and top well trim and have used SEM on a previous project. Both are great products. (do a search you can see my results pics here)
Plastidip....I'd pass.

OP
OP
NCMystic

NCMystic

Reaction score
i have no idea what i thought plastidip would be more resilient than paint, glad i asked

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
plasti dip can be more resilient than paint in some ways, its not meant to be permanent but if you apply it properly it's not going to go anywhere until you want it to.

5litrarag

Reaction score
in some cases plastidip is a good option, but on the cowl it falls short compared to paint just because of the texture paint will offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online

No members online now.