power steering issue

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Step-son just got a '99 GT vert. He said the steering was weird so I drove it tonight. Steering feels 'tight'. Went around a right curve and the steering wheel wants to stay turned and not return to center. Under acceleration it pulls a little left but with weight back on the front wheels it pulls slightly right. Under braking it pulls harder left.
Front pads, rotors, calipers and hoses were just replaced right before he bought it.

Any ideas? He is thinking about just replacing everything in the front, including the rack but I'd like to have an idea of what the issue might be.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Could just as easily be something amiss with suspension and/or brake. If the wheels don't stutter while parked and turning the steering wheel (engine running) and the assist to the rack is smooth and no excessive noise, power steering is good. If there is ample brake force when stopping moderately hard then the hydroboost is good too.

Connie

Reaction score
How bad does the Fluid look in the Reservoir? Also, check the Steering Boots under the car for rips and wear in the Boots. If they are ripped, the Steering Rack could be bad.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
boots look ok. PS fluid is full but haven't checked color. He was debating on replacing the rack too but i told him to hold off for now to see if this stuff fixes it but based on how tight those ball joints were i'm pretty sure that was it. The boots on the BJ's were mostly gone and cracked. But next step will be flushing fluid then the rack if it is still acting up

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Maybe raise the front end up off the ground and steer the wheels fully side to side. Could be air in the system. While its up check wheel bearings and tierod ends for plays. Could also be inner tierod ends.

I get it too...just replace all with new to eliminate headache.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
We had the tie rods unbolted and could barely rotate the spindles by hand they were so tight. Had to use 2 hands to turn them and it was even a struggle then. Knocked the ball joints out and they rotate nice and easy now.
His struts won't be here until Friday but think we should probably have everything back together tonight except for the new struts. He bought the adjustable caster/camber plates too just cause he thought they looked good...lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online