Radiator Woes

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

As some of you may have seen , I have changed the radiator in the past couple of days. All appeared ok initially but I've got some issues now and was looking for some pointers.

Firstly, the automatic transmission cooling plugs. On the new radiator when it arrived both of the gold barrels that the transmission cooling metal lines screw into were a bit loose so I tightened them a bit but still had a leak. Have now taken off the lines again and tightened them more and the leak seems to have stopped, but looking at the old rad, they are screwed in a lot further to the new rad than they were on the original. Should I be worried about this?

But the bigger problem. Went out on a short ride today and the temperature gauge was going up higher than I would expect. I noticed when the new rad was in that the needle is more on the A of NORMAL and the old one was more between the R and M but wasn't concerned (as it was still in the normal section).

However, after driving for about 5-10 minutes this afternoon, the gauge was into the L and steam started coming out from under the radiator filler cap (not the one on the plastic bottle, the actual rad itself). The new radiator didn't come with a new cap so I used the old one; I spotted coolant appeared to be trickling down the plastic pipe where the cap goes as if it wasn't sealed properly, which it is, as the steam was coming through. Note it was just the radiator cap it was coming from.

Any initial thoughts or ideas what could be going on? It's only about 22 degrees here today and she was fine this morning running on a 15 minute journey but something is amiss this afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on both of the above.

Oh and to confirm the car is a 1994 V6 Convertible.

TMW

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Air pocket in the system, more than likely.

And the fittings that thread into the trans cooler section of the radiator... what kind of threads are they?

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Cheers for the quick reply - having spoken to a friend about it since he suggested similar - will investigate more tomorrow as I've lost interest today!

Threads in the trans cooler section - how do you mean, what kind of threads are they? Just a standard screw type - sorry if that's not helpful :(

TMW

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Helps to know how they seal, is all. For instance, if they are tapered pipe threads (NPT as they're commonly known) then they will need to be removed, both the female threads and the male threads cleaned, and have a teflon sealant applied to them before running tight again. And there has to be some hours before refilling coolant for the paste to cure; tape not so much. Some seal by a copper or aluminum crush washer. Others by an o-ring face. Others by compression of the inner tube like an interference fit.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Ah ha! You've given me something there!

I checked the original rad again and yes there was a tape round the thread of the adaptor going in to the connector on the rad. That would do it!

PTFE tape we call it over here....

Screenshot_20240519-221319.png

Will get some tomorrow and sort the problem.

Brilliant - thank you so much.

TMW

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time getting all the air out of my coolant. Check out a zero spill rad funnel from your local harbor freight. The funnel seals up to the cap area and you fill it up to the point there is still fluid in the funnel. Then start the car and let it idle and I was amazed that 20 min later bubbles were still rising up and I was still having to add a little every so often. Once the bubbles stop there is a stopper you put in the funnel and then you can pull it right off and the rad is full and the put the rest of the coolant back in the bottle.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried every tip I could find about burping it prior to this and didn't believe that this would make a difference, but it did.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Ah ha! You've given me something there!

I checked the original rad again and yes there was a tape round the thread of the adaptor going in to the connector on the rad. That would do it!

PTFE tape we call it over here....

View attachment 35308

Will get some tomorrow and sort the problem.

Brilliant - thank you so much.

TMW
Well all done now. Removed the lines, put the PTFE tape on and re-attached, plus removed the airlock that was in the system - all much happier and just feels better.

Have got some transmission fluid on order - should be here tomorrow or Friday and will then top that up as well.

Once the mopping is done, she'll be happy and raring to get out there again for the summer.

Thanks again for the pointers on this thread.

TMW

da8banger

Reaction score
I had a hell of a time getting all the air out of my coolant. Check out a zero spill rad funnel from your local harbor freight. The funnel seals up to the cap area and you fill it up to the point there is still fluid in the funnel. Then start the car and let it idle and I was amazed that 20 min later bubbles were still rising up and I was still having to add a little every so often. Once the bubbles stop there is a stopper you put in the funnel and then you can pull it right off and the rad is full and the put the rest of the coolant back in the bottle.
haha trying to burp the coolant system without this funnel was a nightmare. Coolant goes everywhere and anywhere...

Its a little pricey but the funnel is worth it

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I used a bottle of diet pepsi with the bottom cut off - found it could screw in to the radiator hole and a bit of rag round to catch the excess. Worked really well!

TMW

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
haha trying to burp the coolant system without this funnel was a nightmare. Coolant goes everywhere and anywhere...

Its a little pricey but the funnel is worth it
wouldn't ya know it 3 weeks after I got it, I happen to go through a pawn shop for no reason and there is one still in the plastic for half the price...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slow_1996_2V

Members online