Single DIN to Double DIN + 01+ console conversion

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if we were to put a coat of paint over the top of them if I couldn't tweek my laser settings just enough to burn off the paint and leave the design below to light up.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have an extra defrost button. I might pull it apart o see how it's made. I have a laser etcher as well. (at work)

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
What have you folks done for mounting the radio in a double din coversion? I'm using a factory radio bezel, but is there an aftermarket mounting kit that will work well? Is the radio solidly fixed?

I saw one vid where a guy grafted in the 01+ radio area for a more robust mounting, but are the aftermarket solutions any good? I only see the metra kit with the aftermarket bezel, but I don't want to use the bezel. I want to do this in a way that doesn't seem so "cobbled". But, Am i fabbing somthing up?

This is the vid i was referring to grafting in the radio section and support bar.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The kit is nice because it comes with mounting brackets that hold the deck in place. It doesn't fit on the top as good as the stock piece but in my opinion it isn't a horrible fit either.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Is there a way to buy the kit without the bezel, or pretty much that's the only way it comes?

I assume i can use the OEM bezel in it's place?

badass98svt

Reaction score
I wrote this "How-to" when I did mine a few years back.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Thanks. That gives me an idea regarding the "support" to hold the rear of the radio.

The metra kit looks like it will support the radio pretty well. I think the unit i'm looking at is one of those shorter (lighter) non-CD player Sony units. My only concern is if i can use the OEM bezel instead of the Metra one.

1701713551932.png

That's how the metra kit bolts up, which I actually like because it seems like it will be pretty secure.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there a way to buy the kit without the bezel, or pretty much that's the only way it comes?

I assume i can use the OEM bezel in it's place?
The bezel is the kit for the most part, no you can't get the brackets separate. The mounting brackets hang off of two of the 4 screws that hold the climate controls in place and it holds it in place so you can then pop the bezel over the deck.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yes you can use the OEM bezel, that's what I did.
The Metra one doesn't fit the dash right.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMG_20200512_155305.jpg
the horrible fitment that he is talking about is that little bit on the top. The kit is flat where the dash has a slight curve to it. It isn't something that anyone will necessarily notice unless you point it out to them or they are looking for it. In my opinion the time saved in getting the solid mounting brackets is worth never hearing anyone say "Hey is it off by about 1/16" here on top?". Some of the writeups I have seen on how to make the stock piece fit had the deck just sitting on a 2 x 4(not posted here thankfully) and you want the deck mounted nice and solid if you are going to be playing around.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I saw the 2x4 post. Won't be doing that. That's actually what I'm trying to avoid.

I like the idea of the solid mounting brackets. I just wish i could confirm they will work with the OE bezel as any solution i go with needs to use this bezel.

Eh. I'm an engineer. I'll likely figure out some overly complex solution somehow.

1701719637872.png

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would like to say it holds the deck in the same spot for the factory bezel but I have never tried it. If you are handy and can see how the brackets are made you can probably make a pattern out of cardboard and then transfer that to some aluminum to bend into place. But getting it lined up with the bezel will take some thought but it could be done.

rio_snek

Reaction score
20230301_121139.jpg
When I made my shelf, I used a piece of cardboard to simulate the bottom of the radio and put the whole bezel in the car. Then you can work inside the opening where the radio goes to figure out where you want to mount your bracket/shelf

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
That's a good idea.

Gonna go ahead and order the kit and see where it all lines up and go from there. Thanks everyone. Lots of parts coming between the console, wiring, switches and radio. Haven't even actually purchased a radio yet...so stay tuned.

badass98svt

Reaction score
View attachment 30559
When I made my shelf, I used a piece of cardboard to simulate the bottom of the radio and put the whole bezel in the car. Then you can work inside the opening where the radio goes to figure out where you want to mount your bracket/shelf

That's the same thing I did in my write up

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Well step 1 of this project has arrived. Console swap.

I just like this console so much better. Cupholder layout is better and cleaner since it lacks that "pod" that looks like an afterthought on the 98-00 consoles (because it was). Rear charging point is inside the console. Convertible switch is more easily accessible vs the awkward stretch under your armpit.

1701875660574.png

The wiring harnesses between the two are different and use different connections, so I need to take the 99-00 harness off and use it. I kinda wanted to leave my console 100% intact, so I bought a spare harness off ebay for cheap.

The two power power connections are the same. I need to unwrap the harness and re-wrap it to relocate the convertible top switch to the front. No wire cutting, just relooming to makt this happen.

Same for the fog light switch, except I need to change the connector type. Stupid me didn't snip one at the junkyard when i checked the other day. I don;t know when i'll have a free moment to stop, so I just ordered one. Time vs money thing. You can actually shave off the two guide "rails" off the connector and also use it in the defrost or T/C switch if needed. Expensive if oyu need all 3.

Standard Motor Products 5466-05521723​

This console was missing a parking brake boot, so I ordered one from Redlinegoods.com to match the leather shifter boot i already have from them. The 01-04 uses a different parking brake handle to connect to the factory boot. Since i'm using an aftermarket boot, i can likely keep my original style handle and it will slip over fine.

It's a VERY clean console, but I'm going to give it a light redye using the LMR SEM paint as i already did my entire interior with it. Will just help everything match nicely.

I have been looking at the traction control button. I know they operate differently, but I think i have an idea to allow me to change over to the new button style. I'll work on that much later though since I can just run the 99-00 style button for now.

I ordered the Metra kit, but after digging around I don't think i can use the OE style bezel with it. So i'll need to go with another solution. I plan on using the factory 3 buttons under the radio, so i NEED to use the OE bezel here.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I ordered the Metra kit, but after digging around I don't think i can use the OE style bezel with it. So i'll need to go with another solution. I plan on using the factory 3 buttons under the radio, so i NEED to use the OE bezel here.

The way I did it in the write up won't work for you?

Yeah, the newer console is definitely a better layout.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Haven’t dug into it yet. Wanted to see what the metra kit offered.

Unfortunately it’s meant to all work as one, so I can’t use the brackets with the OE trim.

The radio actually mounts a tad lower on the metra kit

IMG_6613.jpeg

Also the mounting setup is completely different as the metra faceplate is designed to clip into the brackets.

IMG_6614.jpeg

It’s a great setup for sure, but I’m focused on using the oem 01+ radio trim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online