Stock style exhaust replacement parts

C1skout

Reaction score
Can anyone find new stock style replacement exhaust? My car came with an aftermarket 2.5" cat back system, and I'd really like to replace it with stock style mufflers and pipes in 2.25". Everywhere I look says not available....no luck searching by individual part #'s from Walker or AP systems either.

I have a 1995 GT

Rod

Reaction score
I would ask why you want to go back to stock? Unless you have a very rare sub model it isn't economically reasonable to do that. If it's s because the exhaust is too loud you can always find a system that will suit you sound preference. Nobody makes OE stuff for our cars for exhaust that I know of, you might be able to get it from a wrecking yard but it will be a crap shoot if it's any good.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah anything for our cars that claim OE is for the fitment and most likely larger.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Above are correct; good luck finding take-off exhaust parts in good enough shape to justify putting back on your car. Plus, they will probably be cut as, IIRC, the exhaust system was put in place on the assembly line before the rear axle assembly so you can't get it out without cutting it somewhere. One good thing is pretty much everybody swapped out exhaust on our cars so there should be availability of the components. The unknown is what shape they're in. Google Quarter Horse Performance. That is a local Mustang specific salvage yard. The owner's name is Randall Gaymon and he is one of the most knowledgeable men in the business. He may have a complete system under a car he would sell.

OP
OP
C

C1skout

Reaction score
I would ask why you want to go back to stock? Unless you have a very rare sub model it isn't economically reasonable to do that. If it's s because the exhaust is too loud you can always find a system that will suit you sound preference. Nobody makes OE stuff for our cars for exhaust that I know of, you might be able to get it from a wrecking yard but it will be a crap shoot if it's any good.
I didn't say stock, but stock style replacement parts. I don't see the need for 2.5" pipe on an otherwise stock car. They're awful tight to snake that exhaust through without rattling. That's my big issue with the (Pypes pipe bomb) system I have now. Well, that and the pipes are cockeyed out the rear, and I don't like the look of the big 3.5" chrome tips.

Rod

Reaction score
I didn't say stock, but stock style replacement parts. I don't see the need for 2.5" pipe on an otherwise stock car. They're awful tight to snake that exhaust through without rattling. That's my big issue with the (Pypes pipe bomb) system I have now. Well, that and the pipes are cockeyed out the rear, and I don't like the look of the big 3.5" chrome tips.
My bad, you did say 'stock style', I took that to mean factory correct. If you want to go back to the 2.25 you my need to have it built for you at a local muffler shop. And if they are good at what they do it will likely be more expensive than buying a popular aftermarket system. You say you don't see the need for a 2.5 system on a stock car. Well I can tell you from having my '95 GT for over 20 years that the stock system chokes the engine down even when stock. The H pipe has 4 CATs on it because Ford couldn't get it to pass smog regs with just one on each bank and still make reasonable power. I currently have a 2.5 off road H pipe and a 2.5 Flowmaster 40 cat back on mine and it fits just fine. No rattles, nothing touching anything it shouldn't, and the car sits 3" lower than stock front and back. I do scrape the mufflers on speed bumps sometimes. A system built by a well known company will go together easy and fit perfectly, just follow the directions that come with it if you do it youreslf. I understand wanting to get rid of the 'Pypes' system, it would drive me crazy and I run OG 40 series Flowmasters not the newer 'quiet' ones. But there are a ton of systems out there. Get out there and connect with some Mustang owners near you and listen to them, when you find one you think sounds good ask what it is and go from there. As far as the 3" tips, I agree they don't look right. In my opinion if the tips are coming out in the factory area 2.5 is as big as the tips should be, otherwise they look out of scale with the rest of the rear end. I like a clean classy rear. P.S - I like how Magnaflow sounds, might just be my next system.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Rockauto does show a few walker mufflers available. Walker 21278 is available there but i have no idea what this muffler sounds like. 21277 is available from Jegs.

Thing is, walker is owned by Dynomax, so not sure if you are getting a true stock replacement quiet muffler, or a dynomax aftermarket. I tried searching the other part numbers but couldn't find any info.

1694785858153.png

You can get a 2.5" kit to fit rather well on these cars. I have a 2.5" flowmaster kit with Borla Pro XS on my foxbody and nothing hits, even with a panhard bar out back and being lowered.

I have the stock OE exhaust on my '00 GT and no desire to change it. I like the quiet tone in that car.

Pallgor

Reaction score
Can anyone find new stock style replacement exhaust? My car came with an aftermarket 2.5" cat back system, and I'd really like to replace it with stock style mufflers and pipes in 2.25". Everywhere I look says not available....no luck searching by individual part #'s from Walker or AP systems either.

I have a 1995 GT
CJ pony or American Muscle. I got my stainless tailpipes and magna flow muffler’s. Sweet. I have a 96 GT

OP
OP
C

C1skout

Reaction score
Well, thanks for all the input guys. I ended up ordering the LMR house brand stainless LX style tailpipes and a pair of Cherrybomb turbo mufflers. Ill try to report back how they end up working out for me.

OP
OP
C

C1skout

Reaction score
New exhaust is on. Big thumbs up, the turbo mufflers are just slightly quieter than the M-80 Pypes glasspacks were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online