Suspension bottomed out after coilovers.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
They may be better on a car with a higher ride height....but in the case of someone who wants to go low, the fox shocks will give them a little more travel.

Lowering these cars more than like an inch or 1.5 inches will start to make handling worse....the only case you really need the fox shocks is when you are like 2 inches or more lowered.

My point is if you want the car to handle good only lower it 1.5 inches and run 99-04 shocks.

If you just want to be low drop it on its face and run fox shocks for extra travel.

Just cause MM says that doesnt mean you should use a 99-04 shock on a car that is slammed 3.5 inches. lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea i kept crawling around my front trying to see what was causing me to rebound hard as hell! it was the dam bumpstop in the rear.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea my cars really low and rides great with fox shocks and stuts with coilovers all around for but I could care less how it rides its not really a street car now

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I know, that's why I posted that. I guess I should have made that more clear.

Edit: Yeah Tony, my rear axle would hit the snubber in the back.. the front didn't quite hit, but man that back end would slam.

Oh OK. i got ya. That's why you thought it was half assed. Ding ding ding! light bulb went off in my head! lol

Slykin

Reaction score
yea i kept crawling around my front trying to see what was causing me to rebound hard as hell! it was the dam bumpstop in the rear.

Yeahh, I cut some of my snubber off, but it still really sucked with my shocks shot. With what i'm running now though, it doesn't even travel far enough to hit anything lol. Racing shocks/springs FTW!

Oh OK. i got ya. That's why you thought it was half assed. Ding ding ding! light bulb went off in my head! lol

No problem dude, we're all a bit slow sometimes.

Justin - I can't argue with ya too much about that, as I said, I have no personal experience. It seems there's plenty of people that've had good luck with the setup. I don't see why people run 3+ inches low though.. I mean yeah, it looks good, but it rides like utter crap. Even with my bilsteins it gets bouncy at that height. The best solution I can see for getting real low is some drop spindles and lowered rear shock mounts.

OP
OP

94RedGt

Reaction score
Ok just to clear some of the confusion out, by bottomed out i mean that the body of the shock is literally sitting up agains the shock tower and it does not travel so the car rides like a pogostick, ill maybe raise the car 1/4 of an inch up but im going to buy fox shocks anyways since they are indeed shorted and offer good clearance for suspension travel. The car is running on 17in cobras with 245s in the front and the tire is half an inch from the fender. It looks nice but the stress im putting on the CC plates and the shock towers is way to much with nothing more than a rubber bushing absorbing all the punishment , good thing i left it in betwen the tower and the shock or i would have had some hard knocking noises in the front. For now ill buy cheap replacement fox shocks as i dont have the cash to spend on performance shocks but ill later get the correct dampners for lowered cars.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't think it was so much the fox struts give you more suspension travel as it was they won't be as compressed as much when the lowered car is sitting on them so they're more in the range they like to work in. My front is lowered 3" and I've never heard the struts bottom out.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
What size spring and rate are you running? I had my 14-175s lowered the front about 2-2..5" on stock struts and never had this issue.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i think he's running 12" 175??

to me it simply sounds like he has too tall of a strut, and it is already compressed just sitting so when he rolls over bumps it is bottoming out. get shorter struts. unless i'm missing something here, haha.

sounds like the fox struts might be an easy fix. if you can actually see your strut is completely compressed just sitting...well that's kinda strange but it's def your problem...

Slykin

Reaction score
This just doesn't sound right... how in the world is it just sitting on the strut tower? There's plenty of guys that sit their cars on the ground with SN95 shocks without that issue.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Operator error?

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP

94RedGt

Reaction score
The springs are 14" 175# and . I think my problem is that i left the rubber bushing that goes in the strut shaft for the stock camber plates, i left it there in case of hitting a big bump and the strut body hitting the caster camber plates, tomorrow i will remove those bushings and lift the car about 1/4 of an inch higher . Yeah i like the lowered to the fenders look but i want the car to ride reasonably and not like a pogostick. If they still bottom out ill just buy fox shocks from autozone until i can afford real performance struts.

Also guys there seems to be some clearance issues between the coilover spring and the lip of the rim or the tire cuz u can feel it rubbing sometimes when going in reverse and backing out of a parking lot and also when the tire reaches high speeds they expand and rub on the spring. Will going to 96+ spindles give me a bit more clearance since i heard they place the hub a bit out more than the 94-95 spindles.

Slykin

Reaction score
Are you sure you're not rubbing the inner fenderwells while turning? I know my car does that when I drop it down. I have heard some coil-over kits such as UPR don't have quite as much room between the wheels/springs though.

OP
OP

94RedGt

Reaction score
Nah its not the fenders, the car is lowered to the fenders but not to were the tires are sitting right next to them, and yeah spring does sit way to close to the tire. It kind of sucks , what is the difference between UPR springs and the ones sold by MM or other companies ? Are the springs from the other guys thinner ?

Slykin

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure on that one, that's just what i've heard. I know on my MM's I run a 2.5" spring on the front, i'm not sure what they are on UPR's. MM's may keep the spring closer to the top of the strut also, which puts it above the tire completely. Though, now that I think of it, if you're running 14" springs that would put the spring pretty far down on the strut which may contribute to your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online