Tinting your tails

Sinned83

Reaction score
I figured I would write up a little how to for some of you guys. Most automotive stores will stock all the products you need.
There are multiple methods to doing this some people just clean the lights and spray. This method will last longer and look nicer.

You will need
1. sandpaper 800 grit,1000 grit and 1500 grit
2. 1 can of lens tint I used Rust-oleum (2 cans if you wanna go really dark)
3. Megs ultimate compound
4. Megs plast-x
5. your favorite sealant (I used CG jetseal 109 which you cant buy at an automotive store)
6. 2 microfibers
7. dual action polisher
DSC01510.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTEtMjAxMTAzMDItMTExOC5qcGc.jpg

You would want to begin by making sure your tail lights are clean and taping off any areas you don't want to get painted. Then wet sand them with your 800 grit sandpaper. Don't press to hard and be sure to always keep the sandpaper wet.
you should get this
DSC01508.jpg

wipe the lens clean make sure they are dry. A work bench will work fine for painting if not just keep them off the ground as you will want the lenses to stay clean.
Hold the can about 10" away from the surface and apply a thin even coat.
let dry for 2 hours and wet Sand with the 1000 grit.

Repeat the painting process until you reach your desired darkness I did 2 coats.

Then wet sand the lights with your 1500 grit sand paper. Again being sure to keep the sand paper wet.

next you to let the lights dry for about 24 hours (read the label on the paint that you use)

After they are completely dry you can begin polishing with your Megs ultimate compound
remove the product after it dries

Follow this by polishing the lights with your megs plast-x. Then remove it

The last step is to seal your tail lights with your favorate sealant. Be sure to allow it time to cure and then remove

DSC01540-1.jpg

got the bezels painted
DSC01542.jpg

*NOTE* If you get any orange peel or runs in your tail lights you can remove them by wetsanding with your 800 grit paper.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTMtMjAxMTAzMjMtMTMyOC5qcGc-1.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sinned83

Reaction score
I will post up some pics of the bezels on when I get them back from my fathers shop.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn Bro!!! That came out hella good!!! I seriously wanna get a set of taillights just to try this!!!

Great work, and thank you so much for the write up!!!

OP
OP
S

Sinned83

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this was the first set that I did. If you do make a mistake you can remove it with IPA.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bro, that looks hella good!!!

How do you this the rustoleum tint compares to nightshades?

OP
OP
S

Sinned83

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Bro, that looks hella good!!!

How do you this the rustoleum tint compares to nightshades?

IMO it looks a lot more glossy.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you think the rustoleum looks more glossy?

OP
OP
S

Sinned83

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
you think the rustoleum looks more glossy?

yep. Id like to see how durable it is too cause anyone I know with the vht tint it always gets flat or dull looking.

BigTang

Reaction score
Looks really good.
Years ago you couldn't get any spray on tint and I ended up using Testors window tint spray for model cars and then clear coated them. This looks a million times better. I like this more than doing flat black trim on the bezels.

joekd

Reaction score
The VHT niteshades does come out dull, most people I know have ended up wet sanding then aplying clear coat over it

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think alot of people that use VHT Nightshades never have it come out glossy because they dont color sand the lights the tint.

BlackJack95

Reaction score
I've got $.02 on this one too....

I always wetsanded and buffed the vht out, always come sout much nicer IMO, very dull without...

and..
if you need to remove the tint, i've found that Goo-Gone XTreme remover works well.... just put some on a paper towel and rub the area you need to remove. may take some elbow grease, and i would outline the areas with painters tape to prevent from hitting other spots with the remover. once removed, clean/wash as normal.
i had to remove some from my reverse lenses on my lt1 camaro, like i said worked great.

sand1303

Reaction score
those things came out beautiful. u did a good job! i had mine done and i love them. get nervous when highway patrol gets behind me but never got a ticket. mine are just slightly darker than yours but very little difference. you can still see the reflectors in mine as well. i think that is the key for not getting messed with by the cops

96-Pi_stang

Reaction score
Been looking for a write up on a good procedure to do this. Thanks this is perfect!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online