Track day results and basic breakdown.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well, I did the WSIR big track a week ago. The weather started off kinda cloudy, but got pretty nice toward the middle of the day. Since I ran with beginner group, because I've never been to the big track yet, I actually got plenty of time to get the lines down right and play with the shocks. It seemed to me that Konis liked to be at 1 turn on all four. The car did not bounce and stayed planted the whole time, I was very pleased with the result. Suspension work by far is the best mod I've done, and I should have done this earlier, but I'm glad that I didn't because I got a chance to improve myself before I improved the car.

Few notes about the track, and some of the equipment. Track is very fast and demands your respect, so you can't be some yahoo dragracer doing stupid shit. When we started going fast in 3rd session, I realized that I better get my shit together, because on first lap I almost overdrove the car in turn 1 and turn 5. I braked way too late, and thank god the car is VERY forgiving, or else I'd be caughing up sand and dust. I still need to work on line work in turn 3 (I don't drive it far enough) and turn 4 needs a bit of work as well. Turn 9 is cake, once you realize where it's time to brake, and how to cut the corner. The speed on the main straight was 115mph, the speed out of turn 8 was 122mph, as I was almost topping out 4th gear.

By the last session half of the people took off, so the track was pretty clear. My group only had 8 cars in it, including myself. I asked one of the people to time my session and laps. On average, when I was not held back by a slower driver, I was clicking off 1:45.XX times, and the fastest lap of the session was 1:43.81. I am massively impressed with suspension and tires. It's a damn shame that Avon is pulling it's entire line of tires from US, because I love these things. Just a regular Avon Tech M500 street tire for 81 dollars a pop for 275/40ZR17 delivered excellent performance, giving me excellent grip, never getting greasy even over the 30 minute hard session. Combination of Koni and H&R Race spring gave me excellent handling car. It seems more focused and controlled, and when you're done with track, all you have to do is set the shocks back to the soft setting, and the car becomes supple and very comfortable for something that handles the way it did. The Sparco seat helped a great deal too, because it kept me in one place rather than being thrown around the cabin like in a stock seat. Major thanks to Ian at FSR Motorsport Creations for making this happen. Here are some pics, hopefully, I will get better ones soon.

vpckl3.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to list the modifications to the car, incase someone may have wanted to see.

Motor:
Ebay CAI/AEM dryflow filter
Bassani Catted X pipe
Bassani Catback Exhaust
Ford Racing Oil Cooler
Pro 5.0 Shifter/Steeda shifter arm.

Suspension/Brakes:
99 GT calipers/HP+ pads
95 Cobra R wheels/Avon Tech M500 275/40ZR17
Koni SA
H&R Race
StopTech SS lines.
Maximum Motorsports CC plates
Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframes.
Sparco Sprint V Competition Seat.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome man. It looks like you had a great time. Road racing is fun!! :)

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Paul said:
Awesome man. It looks like you had a great time. Road racing is fun!! :)

Thanks Paul.

AaRoN said:
Very nice!

How do you like those 99 brakes compared to the stock ones?

Honestly, I don't have the data to compare the performance of two. People are saying that they 99+ non cobra calipers are supposed to be better, because they are aluminum and aluminum decipated heat better than steel. The car still gets a bit of fade by the end of the session or on really fast corners, but that's probably mostly the pad and the fluid. HP+ is an ok pad, the main reason why I got it, was because I did not want to change pads at the track. When I go for a track day weekend, I set the car up the night before. Seat, pads and sometimes (but not lately) tires get swapped, all the fluids checked. Also race pads don't work on the street, or if they do, they will shave the rotor down very quickly.

One of the things that is clearly obvious is the weight difference. The new calipers are a good 8 pounds lighter per side over stock steel calipers. Honestly, if you're doing slow speed braking or if your car does not have a lot of power, then 99 GT+ calipers with good pads and cooling ductsor even stock ones with same stuff will work great for you. Once you have to bring the car repeatedly from triple digits, then it's time to move onto something with more sweep area.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for that input man :thumb:
I've been trying to decide on whether or not to upgrade the brakes. At first I thought Cobra brakes but then after thinking about it some more, I realized that they'd be completely unnecessary. I don't do roadracing (although I'd like to).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Devin72

Members online