What’s your LEAST favorite repair/fix?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For me it’s headlights! I’d rather do a complete brake job, swap out a Speedo gear, a Dizzy…. Whatever. But getting those 2-pc headlights on their respective guides, locator holes, trying to get the damn adjustment tool to actually DO something etc etc is the most dreaded thing I’ve done on my car. Frickin’ hate it more than anything else that I am capable of doing myself. Granted, the list of things that I CAN do myself is next to nothing compared to the rest of you, but I thought it would be interesting to hear what fixes everyone else truly HATE!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Never done a heater core eh?
Thankfully, no! Heard it’s a nightmare. Anything that requires getting my broken-down arthritic bag of bones called my body up under the dash isn’t something I’d look forward to.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can agree the heater core is no fun but it isn't that bad if you have a good guide of what screws to remove. One piece headlights are some fun.

Personally replacing the trans while it is on jackstands wasn't any fun for me. The front of my neck and arms were sore for a couple of days from just holding them up.

shovel

Reaction score
Man... I had to replace the heater core in my 96 and next I have to replace the clutch assembly.. but I'm pretty much touching every part of that car so I guess that includes the unpleasant jobs. I did the valve guide seals too which is not an awful job but at least a 5 out of 10 for tedious repetitive work.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Starter in a 4.6 with long tubes is no fun either.
Heater Core is there somewhere too.

Headlights are a 30 minute ordeal.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Starter in a 4.6 with long tubes is no fun either.
Heater Core is there somewhere too.

Headlights are a 30 minute ordeal.
Not for me, apparently!! I guess I just don’t get it!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Changed a convertible top once.

Never again

TMW
Ooooh… that’s gotta be right up there with the best of ‘em. At least you had the guts/confidence to try it. Kudos there, Gov-nah!

Snorky

Reaction score
Setting up rear end gears.. then heater core.. never done a convertible top but I imagine it would be between the 2. A long laborious process that requires a lot of attention to detail.

Gears get frustrating. Sometimes you set those things up 5 or 6 times before you are 100% satisfied with the pattern. Each setup can be a bit exhausting. Then when you are finished you have to take the heavyass thing and put it back in the car and pray it doesn't fall off the transmission jack smashing your hand or foot. Been there done that about 8 or 9 times, 1 hand smash, 1 foot smash.. Not fun.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I've done pretty much everything at this point.

My least favorite repair on daily-driver vehicles. Wheel Bearings. I hate doing them. Unfortunately i've had to do enough of them that I have a good collection of tools just for bearings. But i would be a happy guy to never do another one again.

I'm talking about the typical AWD/FWD style wheel bearing that bolts to the knuckle and the half-shaft passes though. Up here in MA, corrosion pretty much welds these suckers in.

Snorky

Reaction score
I've done pretty much everything at this point.

My least favorite repair on daily-driver vehicles. Wheel Bearings. I hate doing them. Unfortunately i've had to do enough of them that I have a good collection of tools just for bearings. But i would be a happy guy to never do another one again.

I'm talking about the typical AWD/FWD style wheel bearing that bolts to the knuckle and the half-shaft passes though. Up here in MA, corrosion pretty much welds these suckers in.
I feel you. Nj salt and rust on my subaru. Blasted out 4 wheel bearings. I have the technique down to a science! Slide hammer is your best friend with that one. Remove the wheel nut holding the half shaft and tap that in so it movess freely of the hub. Setup the slide ahammer with the lugnuts and you blast the hub and inner race out of the outer race/flange. Then take the bolts out of the knuckle to flange and put them in from the outside through the crows foot striaght into the flange and slide hammer the flange/inner race out. Works like a charm.

Snorky

Reaction score
I ended up buying one of these things.

Bolt it on, loosen up the hub and smack it with a 10lb sledge. Comes right off in 1-2 whacks. It's made it easier but I still hate doing them

LOL THINg is quite the weapon.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Deleted. Thx GTamas

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members