2V V1 S-trim on a 4v..... Yes. Seriously.

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Unreal. Since I had no info on this car when I bought it in terms of mods done to it, I had emailed Vortech about the SC that was on it and if they could give me any info. Yes, they could and did. Turns out that the serial # on my SC is a V1 S-trim meant for a 2V engine...... Obviously I have a 4V.

Vortech dude said that as long as the pulley was not a small one that it should be fine and that the units themselves are essentially interchangeable, it is more the brackets and ducting that would be a problem. Since it is mounted properly I am good there. Only other issue is that he mentioned the 4V units came with a charge cooler, so since mine does not have that I would have slightly reduced power from the 4V unit, provided the pulley is the correct size.

The thing definitely is functioning properly. It has the whine and after driving several stock Cobra's in my quest to get one, this one certainly has way more power than stock. I suppose as the weather changes I will yank the SC and find out what pulley I am running on there and either swap it out for a bigger one and a tune, or just retune it to something that I would at least know.

IDK. I would never put a 2V SC on a 4V personally but now that I am stuck like that I suppose it really is not an issue depending on pulley.

Balls.

TL:DR - 2V SC on 4V is ok but is pulley, bracket and ducting dependent with slight reduction in power.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that at all. Its just different piping and a bracket that is needed to make it work on a 4v. The head unit is the same.

But if its really bugging you I'll take it off your hands.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that at all. Its just different piping and a bracket that is needed to make it work on a 4v. The head unit is the same.

But if its really bugging you I'll take it off your hands.

Ha! I will definitely keep it. I had plans of changing the pulley on it anyhow, so this just kind of pushes me to pull the unit to see what's on there already. Who knows, maybe it has a bigger pulley on it already!

I get that it is totally fine on there, but it just strikes me as odd that someone would buy it that way. I would guess got the unit used and then just bought the correct parts to make it fit. Feasible, saves money and functions properly, just makes me wonder about everything.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Ha! I will definitely keep it. I had plans of changing the pulley on it anyhow, so this just kind of pushes me to pull the unit to see what's on there already. Who knows, maybe it has a bigger pulley on it already!

I get that it is totally fine on there, but it just strikes me as odd that someone would buy it that way. I would guess got the unit used and then just bought the correct parts to make it fit. Feasible, saves money and functions properly, just makes me wonder about everything.
Haha trust me you don't want it on your car, it'd be better on mine haha. But yeah I would definitely check it over, and I'd get a retune just to be safe. never know if the guy tuned it himself.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Haha trust me you don't want it on your car, it'd be better on mine haha. But yeah I would definitely check it over, and I'd get a retune just to be safe. never know if the guy tuned it himself.

Exactly. At this point I have no idea what is going on in this car. It is probably fine based off how well it has driven and ran over the month I have had it. But I like peace of mind. Makes me warm inside.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
do you have an afr or any other gauges on it to confirm everything is happy?

Negative sir. I need to buy a boost gauge, but have been lazy about it. I keep looking and not knowing which to buy. Too many options. Plus I was busy putting in a fence and getting concrete poured to widen my driveway since Cobra kicked the Silverado out of the garage. I am getting solid MPG numbers and no noticeable soot/smells or rough idle. So it seems like it is good on the A/F ratio.

mustang86

Reaction score
58eb92893b55c082dc6eded4c749d100.jpg
86 mustang for sale 4800