302 swap in a V6

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
Ok, to clear up any confusion, it *IS* possible to put a 302 into a 3.8L equipped '96-'98 car WITHOUT swapping the K-member.

The trick is to use the 302 motor mounts, but swap them side-to-side. Put the driver's side on the passenger, and vice-versa.

I talked with the guy I know through work who's done the swap and he says that's all he had to do. He did mention that the engine sits up slightly higher than a stock 5.0 car, though. He's running a Cobra-R hood, so it's not an issue for him.

1990F150

Reaction score
you can make adapters out of plate steel and reuse the v6 mounts as well.

Stus1171

Reaction score
I wonder about putting the 4.6 in a 94/95. I always thought I'd have to swap the K-member to do it.

OP
OP
P

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
cnryYell0gt said:
why would you put an inferior platform in the car anyways?

A 302 is inferior to a 3.8L V-6?

I basically put this bit of information in here because the question comes up a lot. Also, there are a lot of people out there with a 3.8L car that has a bad motor or whatever that would like to build themselves a project.

Besides. If your intention was to say the 5.0L is inferior to the 4.6L, then that is a debate for a different thread.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
nope. as such as base power, sure the 302 is a tad bit better. but once you start modding the v6 is the better platform. especially if you aren't upgrading the block.

jthorn9

Reaction score
Umm....sure about that, my 5.0 makes over 400 hp and the block itself is all factory original with no problems. The V6 block is over all stronger, once built, but out of the factory the V6 block cans out at around 300-350 bhp, after that you're on borrowed time as the V6 suffers the same problem the 4.6s do, the rods/pistons can't take it. I love my 4.6L Cobra, but hate the fact my 5.0 is stronger out of the box and that I can't do jack to the Cobra without upgrading the internals.

In any since, swapping a 5.0 into a V6 isn't the most economical of things, however 5.0s were only made for 94/95 cars, and a lot of these cars may have a lot of problems, so if youre V6 body and electrical systems are doing fine then it may be a good investment, just don't drop a stock 5.0 in, way too many things you can do to them for fairly cheap to drastically boost up power. Hell, even once you get it in manualy bumping up the timing to 13-15* adds in a few extra nice ponies.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
jthorn9 said:
Umm....sure about that, my 5.0 makes over 400 hp and the block itself is all factory original with no problems. The V6 block is over all stronger, once built, but out of the factory the V6 block cans out at around 300-350 bhp, after that you're on borrowed time as the V6 suffers the same problem the 4.6s do, the rods/pistons can't take it. I love my 4.6L Cobra, but hate the fact my 5.0 is stronger out of the box and that I can't do jack to the Cobra without upgrading the internals.

In any since, swapping a 5.0 into a V6 isn't the most economical of things, however 5.0s were only made for 94/95 cars, and a lot of these cars may have a lot of problems, so if youre V6 body and electrical systems are doing fine then it may be a good investment, just don't drop a stock 5.0 in, way too many things you can do to them for fairly cheap to drastically boost up power. Hell, even once you get it in manualy bumping up the timing to 13-15* adds in a few extra nice ponies.

you do realize that the 5.0 block will crack at 450 hp right? if your around or over that then you are running out of time quick. 3.8's don't crack.

OP
OP
P

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
I wasn't intending for this thread to be a "which is better, the 5.0 or the 3.8" argument... I was just trying to share information that someone might find useful. Let's not turn this into some kind of engine war...

I will admit the 3.8 is a good engine. If it weren't, Ford wouldn't have used it for so many years. Also, mine wouldn't have lasted for 206,000 miles either. I'm just saying, since the question comes up quite often on how to swap a 5.0 into a V6 car, knowing that you can keep the stock '96-'98 K-member and just switch which side the 5.0 motor mounts are on might be useful to someone out there building themselves a project car.

jthorn9

Reaction score
Umm.....not every 5.0 cracks at 450-500 hp. While that is a problem there are a lot of people running Windsor 5.0s with over 500 bhp, it's all in how you attack things. Now yea, if you're out there autocrossing with the dang thing every day and don't take care of it, then yea, kiss it bye bye.

OP
OP
P

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
Ironically, I've actually completely changed my plan of swapping a V8 in there after all... After looking at all my options, I think I'd rather just boost my 3.8L.

I want to go turbo, since it's "power on demand" rather than like a supercharger boosting 100% of the time. The amusing thing is, this Mustang is my "fuel mileage" car. I kind of want to keep it that way, but still want the "fun factor" too.

Still doing the 5-speed swap, though. Just waiting on a couple days that me and my friend who's helping me both have off to do it. (Nice having a complete donor car for that, too... heh)

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
P51CrazyHorse said:
Ironically, I've actually completely changed my plan of swapping a V8 in there after all... After looking at all my options, I think I'd rather just boost my 3.8L.

I want to go turbo, since it's "power on demand" rather than like a supercharger boosting 100% of the time. The amusing thing is, this Mustang is my "fuel mileage" car. I kind of want to keep it that way, but still want the "fun factor" too.

Still doing the 5-speed swap, though. Just waiting on a couple days that me and my friend who's helping me both have off to do it. (Nice having a complete donor car for that, too... heh)

if you drive your car the same then you will see a significant gas mileage increase with the 5 speed! also look for a TMA turbo kit. they will be hard to find though because the guy wont be making brand new ones for a year or so.

OP
OP
P

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
cnryYell0gt said:
if you drive your car the same then you will see a significant gas mileage increase with the 5 speed! also look for a TMA turbo kit. they will be hard to find though because the guy wont be making brand new ones for a year or so.

Good to know on the mileage thing. Also, thanks for the info on the turbo kit.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
no problem dude. the TMA kit really is the best. It's custom made for our cars. too bad the guy that makes them wont be back in buissness for a while :(

OP
OP
P

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
So I wound up getting the whole '94 parts car back... Looks like I might just wind up stuffing my 5.0L into it after all, slap a new front clip on it and keep that one the 5-speed. Then, later on after I've got it going I can find a turbo setup for the red V-6 '98.

Originally had worked a deal to trade the '94 "shell" for all the labor involved in trading transmissions, but that fell through. Now I have two SN-95's again. Plus, this way I have a complete, running spare engine for the V-6 car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online