4.6 motor mount swap write up

danielson631

Reaction score
this is my first write up so i hope its easy to follow and helps people in the future. i just swapped out my old worn out motor mounts with prothanes. i found one write up for 4.6 motor mount swap, it gave a general idea, but left out some details so heres a more descriptive write up

this is for a 96 cobra, not sure if all other 4.6's are the same.

-appropriate jackstands, floor jack. descent size of wood to protect oil pan, a couple ratches, sockets, you will deff need a 12 inch ext.and maybe a six inch, i used like four extentions but it worked. WD40 or rust buster.drop light

make sure car is cool
disconnect battery( unfortunatelly, you will be fidling with the starter)
if you have a strut tower brace, now would be a good time to remove it, for clearance when lifting the motor.
put front of the car on jackstands. put the particle board on the floor jack.
jack up till you touch the oil pan.
depending on your exhaust setup you might have to unbolt from headers.(i have stock headers and o/r h pipe, i didnt have to disconnect mine)

id suggest doing one side at a time
unbolt the motor mount-to-k-member nut on whichever side you start first
jack the motor up off the k member- i knew immediatly when to stop jacking it up, and you will to if you dont want to break anything)

PASSANGER SIDE MOUNT.

remove the two bolts that will be visible. one is just a regular bolt(top) and the other is a bolt with a nut on top of it, holding wires in place.
ok now to get to that third bolt, i had to remove the starter( maybe a swivel socket would have workd)
TO REMOVE STARTER.
there is one visible bolt on the bottom, and another not so visible on top.
remove the lower one. feel around for the other bolt its up there somewhere.
you will need a 12" and a 6" extention. use a 13mm socket.
reach from in front of the k-member, straight to the top bolt. i got it the first try so its not to hard
ok now let the starter hang, and there goes that other bolt youve been trying to get to.
remove it and take out the old mount.
put the new mount in, make sure it the correct side.
SLOWLY! lower your motor down to where it barely has any of its wieght on the mount
hand tighten all of the bolts
do this bc you DONT want to cross threads with the bolt. :nono: that could get ugly.
aluminum strips very easily.
now you can jack up the engine again for a little more clearance, tighten all of the bolts, then go around once more and tighten them again to be sure.
Re install starter- make sure its all the way in and straight. hand tighten the bottom bolt, the hard on is kind of difficult, but be sure to put the top one in straight too.

DRIVERS SIDE MOUNT
while engine is not rasied.
i removed my oil filter to give me much needed clearance.
unbolt motor mount to k-member nut.
jack up motor
remove two bolts in the front.
once again the top is just a bolt, the bottom is another nut on top, holding down what i guess is two grounds ( one wire was black the other was red, i was confused about that)
the back, final bolt is pretty easily accesible, compared to the other side)
there is a bracket holding the wires for the o2 sensor,mine was rusty so it came out as one peice, not seprate, you might want to remove the bracket, discard it and just use wire ties to hold the wires in place, bc the bracket is a P.I.T.A
remove and install new mount
once again, lower the engine to where the motor is barely touching, and put in the bolts by hand, then tighten them up nice and snug, lift motor if needed for clearance.
replace the two grounds you removed held down by the nut
let motor down and tighten
motor mount to k-member nut, nice and tight.
replace your oil filter and strut tower brace
then take it for a test drive. :headbang:

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
im glad to see people are reading this but has it been usefull to anyone?? just wondering since it was my first write up

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jack the jack up to the oil pan, then put pressure on the oil pan, then undo both mounts at the same time. not one at a time.

on 1996+ cars, keep a close eyes on your tranny harness, as you could EASILY scissor it between your bell housing and the body fo the car.

not a bad write up, but i suggest pics next time ;-) that way we can fully understand the reason as to removing the starter.

i also suggest only replacing two of the three starter bolts.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
yeah pics would have been good. i actually did this to my car using your write up chris, so thanks haha.

yeah that top bolt for the starter was a pain in the ass. used a wobbley assortment of extensions from infront of the kmember to get to it MAN what a PITA!

i put it back though bc when i was all done, i went to start the car and it started, i shut it off and tried to start it again and it wouldnt even crank. but i think i might not have screwed any of the bolts in tight when i was done. DOH!!! so while i was there i figured id just put the damn thing back in

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i did a write up on motor mounts?

... lol. im glad i could help :)

also, is your car running properly now?

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
here it is http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,39634.0.html the third post down

yeah everything is finally back to normal working order. since i got the car nearly everything in the cooling system needed to be replaced and then the motor mounts other wise the car runs good now i just need to keep working on my mods list

borlakid96

Reaction score
Ill be able to use this really soon! Definitly appreciate it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online