91' 5.0 Coolant problem?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My brother noticed yesterday that he was low on coolant on his 91 5.0. He filled it up and by the end of the day it was pretty low again. We were at the car meet and saw green coolant around his radiator, and his thermostat was reading lower than normal? Going to flush the system over the weekend. Any advice on what it could be or what to look for?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If its leaking around the radiator, you have a leak in the radiator.
Check the coolant hoses just in case they're not on properly. Otherwise, it might be time for a new radiator.

Also, If in one day most of the coolant is gone, that is a MAJOR leak. I would highly advise against driving the car as you risk overheating it.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If its leaking around the radiator, you have a leak in the radiator.
Check the coolant hoses just in case they're not on properly. Otherwise, it might be time for a new radiator.

Also, If in one day most of the coolant is gone, that is a MAJOR leak. I would highly advise against driving the car as you risk overheating it.
That's what I was thinking, i said maybe there's a broken hose or something. There's definitely a leak somewhere. Yeah man he filled it up with my dad, and by the end of the day it was low again. Yeah he's not touching it until saturday when we can check it out. If he needs a new radiator, which one would be best to get? He doesn't want a stock replacement, wants something better. Maybe a mishimoto? thanks

youre going to have to dig for it man... track it down.

Yep, can't do anything today its raining all day. Saving it for the weekend.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was losing coolant as well, though not in a single day. Maybe I'd have to add more about once a week? Anyway, I thought it was a head gasket (long story). Turns out it wasn't. The radiator had two small leaks, and the seal on the water pump was basically shot. That's where mine was going.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, i said maybe there's a broken hose or something. There's definitely a leak somewhere. Yeah man he filled it up with my dad, and by the end of the day it was low again. Yeah he's not touching it until saturday when we can check it out. If he needs a new radiator, which one would be best to get? He doesn't want a stock replacement, wants something better. Maybe a mishimoto? thanks

Mishimoto is a good name brand. OEM is also very good. My OEM lasted my about 120xxx miles before it went out.
I have a spectre radiator on mine right now, and it's already developed a small leak so don't go with them.

A few days ago we were also speculating the new SVE radiators:
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?61758-SVE-Aluminum-Radiators

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is the car raced at all? I have a new Mishimoto and am not happy with it. However, the Mishimoto I had before this new one (which they don't make anymore) was actually pretty good. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Mishimoto. But lots of people are running them with no issues :shrug:

I would say give the SVE a shot. I also just bought a ZAP from eBay - RichV is running one of those in his track car and has had good luck with it.

RichV

Reaction score
Easiest way is to let it get hot, and just start checking under the hood. Even if you shut off the motor, the coolant system is pressurized and you'll be able to hear/see where the leak is.

Mine was puking from the waterpump weep hole. There's a little hole under the waterpump snout that leaks when the pump's shaft seal goes bad.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Is the car raced at all? I have a new Mishimoto and am not happy with it. However, the Mishimoto I had before this new one (which they don't make anymore) was actually pretty good. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Mishimoto. But lots of people are running them with no issues :shrug:

I would say give the SVE a shot. I also just bought a ZAP from eBay - RichV is running one of those in his track car and has had good luck with it.

No racing, its his dd

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just installed my mishimoto radiator and I like it. Lifetime warranty and they recently did a redesign to fix some flexing issues they had before. I have also heard great things about AFCO and was surprised to hear that they are made about an hour north of me. Had I known I would have gone with afco to support my local places/buy American.

Chibbzee

Reaction score
I have a Mishimoto radiator and wouldn't think twice about getting another one. I love it. Also, their customer service is by far one of the best I've ever dealt with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online