Any decent sub $300 handheld tuners available?

dwcopple

Reaction score
I think the SCT one is $399. Are there any options below $300?

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Autoanything.com has NEW SCT X4's for $319 shipped with code FALL20 20% off

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Oh man that's a heck of a deal imo. If I had the cash I'd buy one right now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

delling3

Reaction score
So, a bit of hi-jack here, but can someone please explain tuners to me? Tuners for dummies I guess. I understand that they can be used to alter various parameters (i.e. ignition timing) to improve performance over the conservative settings that Ford's engineers programmed into the ECU. There are "canned tunes (i.e. 93 Octane tune) which will improve performance a bit, but that real bang comes from a "dyno tune" when a knowledgeable tech alters parameters on the dyno to get the maximum benefit out of whatever level of engine build you are running in your car. Do I have it right so far?

Assume I have a NPI motor, with aftermarket Stage 1 cams, a P.I. intake, running an automatic and 3.73 gears, will a "canned tune" benefit me, or do I really need to dyno tune the car? Are the parameters stored in the ECU, or does the tuner stay connected overriding the ECU settings? Why do I see so many ricer dudes that are running tuners on a mount in their cars?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
So, a bit of hi-jack here, but can someone please explain tuners to me? Tuners for dummies I guess. I understand that they can be used to alter various parameters (i.e. ignition timing) to improve performance over the conservative settings that Ford's engineers programmed into the ECU. There are "canned tunes (i.e. 93 Octane tune) which will improve performance a bit, but that real bang comes from a "dyno tune" when a knowledgeable tech alters parameters on the dyno to get the maximum benefit out of whatever level of engine build you are running in your car. Do I have it right so far?

Assume I have a NPI motor, with aftermarket Stage 1 cams, a P.I. intake, running an automatic and 3.73 gears, will a "canned tune" benefit me, or do I really need to dyno tune the car? Are the parameters stored in the ECU, or does the tuner stay connected overriding the ECU settings? Why do I see so many ricer dudes that are running tuners on a mount in their cars?

you have it right. a dyno tune is the way to go. canned tunes are ok for basic crap but its not going to maximize. They are designed with safety in mind. and most of the time really don't do a whole lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online