Best light upgrades for a 95?

blueka

Reaction score
The stock headlights have been buffed so many times to remove yellow that I'm worried one big bug hitting them will go through!!

What recommendations would you guys give for upgrades/replacements?

And for tails? I really like the horizontal style lights,
CAM00421_zps99d160c8.jpg

but wonder if there's LED versions? I've searched ebay and late model resto and come up short...

suggestions with pics for both would be cool... thinking black/smoked instead of chrome... I hate chrome..

Si

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For headlights I would recommend anything that does not have a smoked lens. A smoked lens will greatly reduce light output and you'll have to get HID's to be safe.
Some cobra style headlights with some clear corners would be nice. Maybe get a set of black casing/black beauties if you want darker headlights.

As for tailights, you don't need an LED version.
All you need to do is change the bulbs to LEDs. The taillights stay the same. You can also get smoked ones off some stores or you can tint them yourself.
Again, if you're looking for more light, smoking them is not the way to go.

OP
OP
blueka

blueka

Reaction score
I don't get what everyone means by cobra style.. they seem to look identical to the normal ones... I wasn't gonna go with smoked headlights... was looking at halo/projector/hids like I have on my Explorer...

What I was wondering was, if there was an LED version of the horizontal style lights... like you see on all new trucks/cars these days.. I think they'd be nice if they're around... I'll do some more digging... I don't wanna just upgrade bulbs. I want to change the look of the car itself... if that makes any sense..?

Si

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra style is what I have. The headlight is "crystal", like completely clear. I also have clear corners.

lrVyzlZl.jpg

Rather than the stock that aren't crystal clear

HRe0sjbl.jpg

As for the taillight. Theres only really two choices for the sn95s... stock horizontal or stock verticals. You can tint them and play with the cover. But to get a whole new tail light you get some really ricey usually.

I dont think there is any aftermarket horizontals. The best you could do is get some export tails, but good luck.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] has played around with some of the lighting in the tail lights. But they look the same exterior wise. Just light up differently.

I think the best you can do exterior wise is tinting them

OP
OP
blueka

blueka

Reaction score
oh. amber is nasty..

I was thinking about these for the front...
KGrHqVlEFHVrvuezBR53cqfH460_57_zpsff98375b.jpg

with some HIDs in the projectors cos normal bulbs suck in them

Si

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a set of those "nasty" ambered up exports over that riced out ebay special.

OP
OP
blueka

blueka

Reaction score
well, not necessarily.. I'm just putting them up there.. the stock lights right now don't give much light...I've got projector/HIDs in my Explorer and they're a whole lot better than the stock ones were.

Si

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did add a bulb to the lower bar on the on the tails. but because of the reflector on that bar the result wasn't what I was hoping for.
directly from behind

off to the side

brakes

ProKiller

Reaction score
headlights:
most 1-piece lights don't fit very well. projectors usually look like crap on our cars unless they are true retrofits (check out [MENTION=12689]yuke175[/MENTION]). the ones that i linked for the cobra lights are what i have and i really like them. they aren't HIDs but they put out enough light with a silverstar bulb.

taillights:
there are no aftermarket horizontal lights in existence. no company ever made anything other than the export tails from ford. There are some really rice lights that work with the 94-95 taillight harness but they are gross IMO. ttocs retrofited LEDs into a stock light but that's just about all that is possible for these lights. You can either keep what you have and tint them or black out the surrounds but that's about it. OR switch to verticals (and wire harness) and you can then do some more things. aftermarket lights exist for them and you could sequentials.

OP
OP
blueka

blueka

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone so far, I had another look yesterday online.. spent about 4hrs.. I'm not really a fan of the verticals, I prefer the horizontals..but would really like to freshen them up a bit.. so, I dunno..
I'll take pictures of my view from inside tonight so you can see how poor the light output is of a night..
I don't even know what bulbs we use in the headlights... (I'm a terrible Mustang owner)

Si

thorco3

Reaction score
the best headlights for the sn95 are no longer being made... Somewhere along the way a law was passed and all turn signals had to have some kind of amber/orange reflector. What this meant for the aftermarket headlights was they started to stick some "el-cheapo" reflectors in all of the existing designs, a large number of these look awful in my opinion.

These are best design out there available at this time... again, in my opinion.

331_1142PXAS_PLUS_331_1540PXUS2.jpg

very similar to what I have, but these have an amber reflector and the lens is completely clear. Mine are a true cobra clone with black housing and no reflector, but unfortunately they were discontinued long ago and they really can't be made again the exact same considering the change in the reflector requirement.

thorco3

Reaction score
If you ever do find a set like these, let me know so I can buy an extra set

4477790242_bb832a072c_o.jpg

these are what I call a black housing cobra headlight. They are similar to those pictured in my last post except these actually have factory style lenses with the little bit of lines/checkering compared to the completely smoothed inside and out lens of the depo headlights above. (well and the reflector of course)

The amber you see in my turn signals is not a reflector it is the actual turn signal bulb. It actually even has a small clear plastic housing around the bulb itself as well. I've had a number of people ask why I don't run a clear or "mirrored" turn signal bulb, but I like the look of just a little orange in the turn signal housing, but it is only noticeable at certain angles compared to a reflect which stands out no matter what.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online