Cleaning up my engine bay

Jorden

Reaction score
My engine bay has never been cleaned as far as I know. I had a major coolant leak and there is coolant on valve covers, the intake manifold hoses and other places. Would it be good to just clean everything with Water and Tru green?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. Clean everything down with simple green because coolant is corrosive.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score

prototypepariah

Reaction score
sorry : ( just throwing, what to me seemed like a good place to start, especially since he was planning on using the same idea.

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
prototypepariah said:
sorry : ( just throwing, what to me seemed like a good place to start, especially since he was planning on using the same idea.

Don't worry. It was a good resource and if done correctly will get excellent results, even on older cars.

Orange Stang

Reaction score
clean bay FTW!

DSC05492.jpg

Danny281

Reaction score
That method from MM works believe me I did it to my 04 GT a year ago. I now use simple green at 1:10 not full strength and 303 Aerospace protectant instead of turtle wax F-21 since it doesn't attract dust like F-21 does. See my results here.

http://sn95forums.com/index.php?topic=58863.0

Blk97GT

Reaction score
hate to bring back a dead thread but i got a question.....when cleaning the motor on a 96-98 car do you need to cover the coil packs?

red95r

Reaction score
I'd think so. But what about the spark plug holes, no one concerned about getting water in them since they sit on top?

prototypepariah

Reaction score
In the link I posted they stressed the alternator mostly, and the coil packs. No mention of the spark plugs.

You aren't really putting a ton of water into the bay..just a little to steam it up.

When in doubt you can always just do it by hand.

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
I've never hurt anything with water. If water gets into your coil packs or plug wires, then you've had a different problem in the first place.

stanger

Reaction score
I have a 2000 and really need to clean the engine bay for a show next weekend. Any pointers, product suggestions etc.?

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
Use a light degreaser, spray it down, pressure wash it, but dont do it too hard in any one spot for too long. Keep the wand moving. I dont know how to explain it, I do it every day for my job, but explaining it is another thing. lol. Depends how dirty your bay is though. I also use an acid cleaner to remove hard water from around the edges of the bay and the underside edges of the hood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray176

Members online