Clear coat

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Anyone feel free to chime in on my options here. This is on the hood. Spoiler is 10x worse in going to attempt to repaint that this winter in the shop. I would rather not paint the hood if I dont have to.
672ac1efe7762f0c0d2bbc0fcc881449.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
try a polish and see what happens
Alright I can give that a shot. I've got some around here somewhere i think

What grade? Course medium or fine

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I like to start fine and then can always go up if needed if I am not sure how thick it is. If none of them work you can try a wetsand/polish. It does not look that bar to me.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Will do. The bumper has some complete chips and the hood has dings and a few cracks. The whole car could use a re paint but that's not in the budget lol

Connie

Reaction score
I might say attempt a Wet Sanding, with VERY Fine Sandpaper. I can't tell if there is enough Clearcoat there to work with. It would take constant Spraying from a Water Bottle, and a LIGHT Hand, not to BURN through the Clearcoat.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I might say attempt a Wet Sanding, with VERY Fine Sandpaper. I can't tell if there is enough Clearcoat there to work with. It would take constant Spraying from a Water Bottle, and a LIGHT Hand, not to BURN through the Clearcoat.
I think that's my biggest fear is not having enough clear. In all honesty the hood isn't in the best shape. Ideally it should be repainted but as I said budget just isn't there.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes wet sanding is the last resort and to be done carefully but if it looks bad already then what is there to lose?

Connie

Reaction score
I think that's my biggest fear is not having enough clear. In all honesty the hood isn't in the best shape. Ideally it should be repainted but as I said budget just isn't there.

Try to get some quotes from nearby Shops, just to get a range of how much will come out of your pocket. Try to find, what you think my be the best Shop to use, not just by the bottom line, but also their quality. Believe me, you'll be much happier going with a quality job than with one that costs a few bucks less. A family owned business is what we use ourselves. They have to do fair, and quality work to stay in business. At least the one we use anyway. Of course, it depends too, on how the rest of the paint on your cars is. Decisions...Decisions.

joe65

Reaction score

yes 2000 grit sand paper. start there then polish. I've done this many times with clear coat fog. if you can get it before it starts peeling you're good otherwise you'll need to re coat.

did this on our Ranger hood. Wet sand and polish. You see the side i did versus the other side not worked on yet.
upload_2020-10-8_9-48-51.png

Last edited:

amf201091

Reaction score
You can get a cheap buffer at autozone for like $20 bucks... That's what I'm going to do to refresh the paint on mine after I get her going after my accident lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the cheap buffers are good to help remove wax but they are not good for much more. They do not have the torque needed to really work a good polish.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
if i can this weekend ill work on polishing and see what that does. i've got a lot of non mustang stuff going on so its a bit hard to find the time. currently working on fixing 12 dollar Chinese mill eliminators lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online