Do I want a sn95 project car?

newcarguy2019

Reaction score
I'm considering getting back into the mustang world after stepping away from foxbody's nearly 20yrs ago. I got burnt out on the whole scene, modding, repairing and maintaining the car and I'm wondering if I'll run into a similar experience with a nearly 30yr old sn95. A family member is willing to give me their 94gt for free. Bone stock, garage kept, hardly driven in recent years. Body is in great shape, runs and drives, just a broken window motor. Has 100k on it and nothing has really been replaced, just regular oil changes. This is just a fun second car that I'd do a mild hci combo. I don't want to get carried away, I learned my lesson from before. My concern is the potential issues that may pop up being a 30yr old car. Whether it's another window motor, suspension, gauges, fuel system, electrical, or whatever. While I'll go thru the motor and trans, I don't want to be regularly fixing/replacing every little thing on the car. I've never owned a car this old, what can I expect?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Common items? You can expect to replace vacuum lines, fuel filter, strainer in the tank and the fuel tank fill neck seal.

Other areas to check:

Brake hoses, pads, front wheel hubs, wheel bearing in the axle, timing chain (might as well change the oil pump and water pump while “you’re in there”)

Clean the fuel injectors, replace the air filter and flush the radiator.

That should be a good “stage 0” round of maintenance for peace of mind.

joemomma

Reaction score
Do. It.

Honestly, these cars are pretty solid. They are a great platform to build.

dalpoas83

Reaction score
I don’t understand. Don’t want to work on it a lot but want to do hci. My advice if you don’t want to work on it a lot just repair whats needed and leave it stockish.

OP
OP
N

newcarguy2019

Reaction score
I don’t understand. Don’t want to work on it a lot but want to do hci. My advice if you don’t want to work on it a lot just repair whats needed and leave it stockish.
That's certainly how I'd start off and probably the smart move long term, but eventually h/c/i may be too hard to resist.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I've had to replace the radiator, clutch, exhaust, brakes, o2 sesnsor, front seats and window switches. The factory suspension is not excellent so it's going away from top to bottom.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
This is true. Money pits are what happens when you fail to put the money or the thought where it was supposed to be. Nix used parts, parts from companies that cater first to the poors and bargain labor. Don't look to corner carving mods from companies that specialize in drag racing parts and vice versa. Don't get the most radical thing just because it's the most radical thing.

Oh... and never ever ever buy anything that says "Stage <number>" unless it's a map of a theatre.

Snorky

Reaction score
Also plan ahead and stick to the plan. And if the plan evolves. Have a serious talk with yourself over the direction the plan is going and the time you have available or will have available in the future. Dont get me wrong. High hp builds are cool, but if you don't have the time anymore to iron all of the never ending bs out of them. Then they make you want to go to therapy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online