Has anybody done Sequential tails?

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has figured out how to make the horizontal tails sequentials, whether by taking it to get professionally done, or finding some sort of kit somewhere. Never seen it anywhere but it seems like a cool idea, so I was just wondering if anyone had managed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The first way I installed LED strips inside the lights. Now this way didn't look bad, but in order to get the strips in I cut open the lights and then had to epoxy them back together and while they worked if/when the leds start to go out it would mean the entire thing would need to be cut open and then epoxied together again. The thought of doing it all over for one light, let alone later when they start to burn out kept me from ever doing a 2nd.

The 2nd option I drilled individual holes in the back of the light and was mounting the leds in from the back in a way that would allow for replacement(while it would be a pain in the ass). Unfortunately after that one was done the output was just weak and not bright enough.

Now I did just get all 3 bars lit up on mine, but not sequenced. This required making a hole in the back where there is already a spot for one. The only hard part was that I used my cnc to cut a ring for the new light to screw into and then epoxied that in place. I then took the back up light and replaced it with a 3157 red led and wired it into the same spot as the other new tail light so that the 3rd bar lights up all red. To keep the back up lights I got some SUPER thin led strips that I mounted just under the bumper. Unfortunately my batteries have been unhooked with the trans swap I am hoping to get back on now and then I can get some pics.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
The first way I installed LED strips inside the lights. Now this way didn't look bad, but in order to get the strips in I cut open the lights and then had to epoxy them back together and while they worked if/when the leds start to go out it would mean the entire thing would need to be cut open and then epoxied together again. The thought of doing it all over for one light, let alone later when they start to burn out kept me from ever doing a 2nd.

The 2nd option I drilled individual holes in the back of the light and was mounting the leds in from the back in a way that would allow for replacement(while it would be a pain in the ass). Unfortunately after that one was done the output was just weak and not bright enough.

Now I did just get all 3 bars lit up on mine, but not sequenced. This required making a hole in the back where there is already a spot for one. The only hard part was that I used my cnc to cut a ring for the new light to screw into and then epoxied that in place. I then took the back up light and replaced it with a 3157 red led and wired it into the same spot as the other new tail light so that the 3rd bar lights up all red. To keep the back up lights I got some SUPER thin led strips that I mounted just under the bumper. Unfortunately my batteries have been unhooked with the trans swap I am hoping to get back on now and then I can get some pics.
That makes sense, thank you. Out of curiosity, if i took it to a shop that specializes in custom led tails do you think they might be able to? or would they be just as stumped as at at-home job.

Dany

Reaction score
i did.
not 100% happy with the result (a bit too fast toggling in my opinion), but it seems to work.
used 2 delay circuits on the "Major" connections - first between the internal light and the middle, second between the the middle and the outer light.
you'll need to change the light socket of the internal light to dual functionality (just like the middle and the outer).
the delay circuits are available on ebay or aliexpress.
something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
i've also changed the bulbs to LEDs (thus the rapid flashing).
added some load resistors to the "Minor" connection - so the turning lights will be visible better when running lights are ON (same light bulbs / LEDs are used for both).

i think the same "recipe" can be applied to horizontal (just noticed that)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
i did.
not 100% happy with the result (a bit too fast toggling in my opinion), but it seems to work.
used 2 delay circuits on the "Major" connections - first between the internal light and the middle, second between the the middle and the outer light.
you'll need to change the light socket of the internal light to dual functionality (just like the middle and the outer).
the delay circuits are available on ebay or aliexpress.
something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
i've also changed the bulbs to LEDs (thus the rapid flashing).
added some load resistors to the "Minor" connection - so the turning lights will be visible better when running lights are ON (same light bulbs / LEDs are used for both).

i think the same "recipe" can be applied to horizontal (just noticed that)...

Sounds interesting, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online