Need guidance on how to "do it right"

Choppylope

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here, I apologize for any newbie questions when it comes to specific 94-95 info.
About a year ago I picked up a half built 94 gt, drove it for a while and just assumed it needed a tune because it was half built when I obtained it.
Mods ( that I know of ):
Procomp upper and lower IM
Procomp 3037 heads
X303 cam
Wideband 02
Trick flow 45 degree elbow
Shorty headers
Welded subframe connectors
Supposedly notched pistons
1.6 roller rockers
Everything else is stock.

I had an issue where 2 pushrods broke and I limped her home to put her in the garage to start tearing it down. ( now that its getting closer to spring Id like to get it back on the road, it sat for 6 months ) What I found is that the stock pushrods where gapped and loose on the rockers like a mechanical cam and a massive amount of wear from the guide plates on all the other Pro's. I'm currently in the process of getting the correct pushrod measurements ( with a checker of course ) and I'm trying to figure out what would be the correct setup for the rest of the car while I have it torn down. It has the stock speed density setup, TB, injectors, fuel pump etc. I want to get the right upgrades to match with the heads and cam so that way I only have to get it tuned once ( I already have tweecer rt) now before you guys roast me for not searching, I've honestly spent what feels like a lifetime trying to gather any and all info surrounding how to get that cam to work well in our cars and how beefy of a fuel system/ injectors are needed. There's almost nothing out there for my setup:/. And then I also need to know if there is anyone around michigan that could help me get a base tune after everything is installed. ( I will learn how to tune, but a completely untuned computer is going to be a nightmare to learn on with this much done to my car, I'd love a good starting point that I can work with ) any help would be greatly appreciated in the direction to go to finish the build right. It's such a clusterf**k I don't even know where to start after I get the pushrods issue dealt with.
And if it helps any, this will be more of a track car/ hitting the twisties.

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here, I apologize for any newbie questions when it comes to specific 94-95 info.
About a year ago I picked up a half built 94 gt, drove it for a while and just assumed it needed a tune because it was half built when I obtained it.
Mods ( that I know of ):
Procomp upper and lower IM
Procomp 3037 heads
X303 cam
Wideband 02
Trick flow 45 degree elbow
Shorty headers
Welded subframe connectors
Supposedly notched pistons
1.6 roller rockers
Everything else is stock.

I had an issue where 2 pushrods broke and I limped her home to put her in the garage to start tearing it down. ( now that its getting closer to spring Id like to get it back on the road, it sat for 6 months ) What I found is that the stock pushrods where gapped and loose on the rockers like a mechanical cam and a massive amount of wear from the guide plates on all the other Pro's. I'm currently in the process of getting the correct pushrod measurements ( with a checker of course ) and I'm trying to figure out what would be the correct setup for the rest of the car while I have it torn down. It has the stock speed density setup, TB, injectors, fuel pump etc. I want to get the right upgrades to match with the heads and cam so that way I only have to get it tuned once ( I already have tweecer rt) now before you guys roast me for not searching, I've honestly spent what feels like a lifetime trying to gather any and all info surrounding how to get that cam to work well in our cars and how beefy of a fuel system/ injectors are needed. There's almost nothing out there for my setup:/. And then I also need to know if there is anyone around michigan that could help me get a base tune after everything is installed. ( I will learn how to tune, but a completely untuned computer is going to be a nightmare to learn on with this much done to my car, I'd love a good starting point that I can work with ) any help would be greatly appreciated in the direction to go to finish the build right. It's such a clusterf**k I don't even know where to start after I get the pushrods issue dealt with.
And if it helps any, this will be more of a track car/ hitting the twisties.

honestly from my point of view i would pull the heads and double check the pistons. I don't trust any ones work as i just got a half built 95 gt and they didn't even torque the heads down all the way. measure out which push rods you will need and do it right do it once. Other than what you have listed. I would go 75mm throttle body, Upgrade the valve springs depending on how high you wanna spin her, and a solid tune. Maybe some under drive pulleys. Whats your horsepower goals? Also 4.10s and some 285-315s in the rear. Honestly I've driven a stock 95 gt and own a 95 with 4.10s with a 5 speed. The 4.10s would be my first mod no matter what. My mod list as is right now is a unknown cam, was in the car when i got it, Afr 165 comp heads, rpm ii intake 70mm throttle body, 4.10s built t5 and a spec stage 3 clutch.Runs low to mid 12s as is with a bad tune.

OP
OP
C

Choppylope

Reaction score
honestly from my point of view i would pull the heads and double check the pistons. I don't trust any ones work as i just got a half built 95 gt and they didn't even torque the heads down all the way. measure out which push rods you will need and do it right do it once. Other than what you have listed. I would go 75mm throttle body, Upgrade the valve springs depending on how high you wanna spin her, and a solid tune. Maybe some under drive pulleys. Whats your horsepower goals? Also 4.10s and some 285-315s in the rear. Honestly I've driven a stock 95 gt and own a 95 with 4.10s with a 5 speed. The 4.10s would be my first mod no matter what. My mod list as is right now is a unknown cam, was in the car when i got it, Afr 165 comp heads, rpm ii intake 70mm throttle body, 4.10s built t5 and a spec stage 3 clutch.Runs low to mid 12s as is with a bad tune.

As far as power levels, I don't exactly have a specific number in mind or know what my current setup is capable of making with the right fueling, tune, and throttle body. I want to get the most out of it N/A as possible and I'm assuming I'm going to destroy the clutch and stock t5, but that can be next winter's project. And also as far as tire size goes, I've got a set of 255 toyo proxes on stock pony wheels and I don't want to go a whole lot bigger, I already can feel the sidewalls roll in a hard turn. I'd like to be in the high 11's- low 12's after 4.10's. Valve springs and retainers are already upgraded. Do I have to change to a calibrated maf since I will be changing injectors, or would an uncalibrated one be better because I have tweecer ? ( 19's aren't gonna cut it, but I don't know how big I need to go ) and with that being said, what size injectors would you recommend? And also, where would I go to get it tuned? I haven't found any tuning shop that will touch my mustang due to the funky computer. I'm located near grand rapids michigan.

Reaction score
honestly 24lbs should be fine. You don't have to change the maf. Im running a stock 70mm maf with 24 lb injectors. I have a c&l 73mm maf housing. You don't have to get it calibrated if you choose the housing with the right sample tube ;). Let me put it this way. I know im at or over 300 at the wheels and still spin them if i launch it, it doesn't spin much but its there. I couldn't imagine 255s above 300rwhp tbh. I have 17x10.5 on the rear with nitro 555r 315 street radials . i doubt 255s are gonna cut it on the back. tuning wise i can't help you out on that

OP
OP
C

Choppylope

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome ttroc!!
Thank you for the info, I'll be doing a little online shopping shortly. Due to my stock trans and presumably stock clutch, I won't be doing any hard launches for a while and a little wheel spin doesn't bother me ( my last car was a turbo grand prix, and would lay a patch from a 70 roll on 245's, so just being rwd now is a massive traction upgrade ) I plan on rotating the 255's to the front when tax returns come in and decide on a bigger tire/ tire and wheel combo for the rear. I don't really do much drag racing, so I'd like to find a tire option that's still going to give me traction without feeling squishy in the turns. And so far that's looking like jumping up to a bigger wheel and smaller sidewalls ( I absolutely love how cheap sticky tires are on a 16" wheel lol ). I've never heard of being able to get different sample tubes, is there a way to quickly figure out what size sample tube I need in a housing? Also, does anyone have tire size reccomendations that don't break the bank that aren't going to give too much sidewall roll? And finally, assuming I follow 955.0's advice and go with 24's and the correct maf housing, will it be possible to start and drive my mustang enough to just get it to a tuning shop? ( I don't have easy access to a truck and trailer, but it's possible to arrange it if absolutely necessary)

Reaction score
a new housing is right at or under 200 bucks and they have options per injector size. You don't need to measure it. They ask what size injector your running. I mean you could probably get away with driving it there if it isn't super far. It could run rich probably will or it could run lean. You want all seasons or summer tires? i run my 555s year round but im in louisiana.

OP
OP
C

Choppylope

Reaction score
a new housing is right at or under 200 bucks and they have options per injector size. You don't need to measure it. They ask what size injector your running. I mean you could probably get away with driving it there if it isn't super far. It could run rich probably will or it could run lean. You want all seasons or summer tires? i run my 555s year round but im in louisiana.
Just summer tires, I don't let the ole girl touch salt. I'm jealous that you don't have to take a 6 month break from your mustang lol. Though it gives me a good excuse to do more extensive work on it when I can't drive it anyways haha. And I've always been a fan of nittos, I've screwed around on some 455's and those weren't half bad at all

Reaction score
Just summer tires, I don't let the ole girl touch salt. I'm jealous that you don't have to take a 6 month break from your mustang lol. Though it gives me a good excuse to do more extensive work on it when I can't drive it anyways haha. And I've always been a fan of nittos, I've screwed around on some 455's and those weren't half bad at all

They make the 555r in 245 50 16s at 161 a piece. Im kinda partial to the 555r though.. They dead hook when warmed up on the street unless i clutch dump at 4k+

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It will start and drive. You’ll just mainly have idle issues and it may surge a bit in the throttle. But you should be able to get it to a shop. If we could get [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] to show up on here he could possibly assist with tuning and he a moates guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

castine917

Reaction score
And also, where would I go to get it tuned? I haven't found any tuning shop that will touch my mustang due to the funky computer. I'm located near grand rapids michigan.
Have you tried Lidio at Alternative or Donnie Walsh? There is a small garage on Alpine that looks like it used to be a gas station. They just did a couple engine swaps on a couple 4.6 mustangs and may be able to point you to a tuner. Addermk2 is another option but not local. I am local to you also and have few parts that may be of use to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online