Plasti dipping some wheels.

Mike_98GT

Reaction score
So I'm planning on plasti dipping my gfs 99-01 cobra wheels tomorrow. Going from white to black. This is my first time and was wondering if you guys had any tips for me. I got the basic idea and it doesn't seem too hard.

GT Rob

Reaction score
Not hard at all the good thing about plastic dip is you don't like it just take it off just make sure the rims are clean and tape it off and take your time. I did my goof and hood with it. Good luck

OP
OP
M

Mike_98GT

Reaction score
Yeah I might do the hood too depending on how the wheels come out. And that's true about just taking it off. Lol you can put clear over the dip too am I correct?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you're going to clear the dip you should use glossifier or the satin clear dip, you can use regular clearcoat but it will make it very time consuming to remove as it will only come off in little bits.

as I learned today it helps to tape part of the tire with small lettering as the dip doesn't like to peel off it very well. you'll want to dip the edge of the tire directly next to the wheel though so you can peel it afterwards and get a perfect edge.

also make your first coat about 50% coverage and do at least 4 coats for durability and peelability. between coats i rotated my wheels about 120 degrees so you're always getting a new angle on the wheel. and for the smoothest finish you'll want your last coat or two to be a little heavier.

GT Rob

Reaction score
That's a good question I don't know if you can my roof and hood where fading so I had no other choice

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I planned on using index cards to block off the tire. Should I still tape it off?

Those are fine as long as you overlap them and its not windy or you'll be chasing the index cards down the block lol. Ask me how i know -_- Real easy to dip the wheels. Tape off what you don't want sprayed. Like [MENTION=8293]OnyxCobra[/MENTION] said, 50% should be for the first coat. Don't try to cover everything with the first coat, you won't and will wind up making it look like shit. I'd do the first 2 coats nice and light, then about 3-4 medium coats and the last one a heavy one. I did my stockers back in like March.. Was pretty easy but time consuming since i was doing it in 50 degree weather outside and one wheel off the car at a time haha.

Suspect

Reaction score
I saw a youtube vid on this. no cards.. guy threw some tire shine on the tires. sprayed the wheels and then peeled the stuff right off the tire. worked out great.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
^^ that's good but make 100% sure you don't get any on the wheel or between the wheel and tire. as long as your tire doesn't have tiny lettering on it it should peel off regardless, assuming you put enough coats on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online