Post A Pic Of Your Latest Purchase Thread...

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I spotted 2 leopard tortoises bumping into my game fence yesterday, a male and a female, so me and my buddy hopped out of the truck and grabbed them to carry them to the other side where they seemed to want to go. On the way the female peed all over my buddy. I warned him to hold it out further. There are hundreds of them on my farm and they are all over the place in the area… they cause a fair number of single-car accidents out on the highway.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I spotted 2 leopard tortoises bumping into my game fence yesterday, a male and a female, so me and my buddy hopped out of the truck and grabbed them to carry them to the other side where they seemed to want to go. On the way the female peed all over my buddy. I warned him to hold it out further. There are hundreds of them on my farm and they are all over the place in the area… they cause a fair number of single-car accidents out on the highway.
Dang… Where you live, son? Opossums and raccoons don’t gobble ‘em up, rip ‘em limb from limb? Poor, defenseless turtles :-(

Mustang5L5

Reaction score

Have the same issue with Snapping Turtles in my area. All sorts of ponds and lakes around me so as you drive down a road near one and round a bend, you can frequently find a big boulder in the road. They aren't fun to move either.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Boomslang’s and Carpet Vipers…. No thanks!
Boomslang are really timid, small as snakes go in this area and arboreal so they're not really a concern even though their venom is remarkably powerful and despite being rear fanged they can open their mouth to nearly 180deg. We don't get carpet vipers down this way, thankfully. We do have a few species of cobra on the farm and a surprisingly high number of puff adders. The puffy's like to chill out under my porch. For the most part the cobras steer clear of the places we tromp around.

We have encountered cape cobras, rinkhals (this one is technically not a "true" cobra but you'd never know the difference to see it) and black spitting cobras (not supposed to be this far east but they're definitely here). The snakes are one thing but the plants are a whole nuther' matter. Every bloody plant here is either really toxic in one or more of its parts or has thorns like 16-penny nails (the thorns come with their own special kind of hypodermically delivered hate from bacteria to poison to bugs) or, more often, both. I spent a lot of Wednesday pulling a nasty variety of thornbush out of one of my fields. You have to pull them out by the root and the thorns are gnarly and numerous. My hands are still a bit tender from 30 years of typing for a living, so while I'm rapidly building callouses I ended up with my hands tatood green and black from the thousands of thorn punctures I had to suffer through. At the end of that day we drove over to part of the farm where a seasonal stream was flowing in a nice deep cut in the rock and cooked some boerwors over a fire while sipping on some suds. The beauty and quiet is unmatched. There are no airplanes flying over and no sounds of any kind of civilization and you can't see a telephone pole or power line from any spot on my farm so the tatood hands were totally worth it.

I'm fixin'a go on a hunt over the next few days. Picking up a couple friends and going out for red hartebeest, blue wildebeest and some springbok. I just ran out of biltong so I need to make some more. Hopefully 50kg of the stuff will hold me over till next year. Might make some droewors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online