post long term storage help

MJN

Reaction score
hello all,
so Ive got a '94 5.0 manual that im probably going to have to pull out of long term storage. its been parked up for probably 12 years now and wasn't properly put in to begin with. I had just started a new job and needed more room at home so put in a u-store and pretty much that was it. Im looking at moving pretty soon and would like to get the car out of storage but don't want to further damage it. any suggestions on what is should do before I attempt to move it? I am already going to pull and change the plugs, oil the cylinders, manually turn the crank, syphon and replace the gas and change the oil/maybe the coolant. Anything else I should hit on? I won't be able to drop the tank as it sits.
thanks in advance all

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Just make sure all fluid toped off
Run fresh fuel
Bump that engine over by hand dont try starting it till you make 1 full complete turn
Prime the fuel a couple times and start

Last edited:

CobraEd

Reaction score
With the engine sitting idle that long the oil will have drained off of the moving parts & you would be doing a dry start unless you prime the oil system.

Before trying to start I would strongly recommend removing the distributor & both valve covers, then prime the oil system with a primer shaft & drill running counter clockwise. Do this until oil is coming out at ALL of the rocker arms. Rotate the engine by hand 1/4 of turn & do it again. Rotate it another 1/4 turn & do it again. This will ensure the bearings & valvetrain are properly lubed.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I left my 88 pick up sit for about 7 8 years i thought to myself hope the engine is not locked up by sitting so long
just rotating the engine by hand was good . i put 300 thousand on that truck still drives today my neighbor bought it from me truck is beat to shit though
i guess thats why its built ford tough

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Flat spot in tires? Tires cracked? Rotted?

Calipers free or locked up? E-brake…..

joemomma

Reaction score
Tires will def be shot and will not be road-worthy.

94scstang

Reaction score
Friend gave me an 80's Jeep GW been sitting since 2006. Coolant ate though the aluminum timing cover when we added water to get it started water got into the engine. I tore down the front end it was dried up like a blue cake in the block. I sold it for $1200 engine needed a total rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online

Members online