Power steering leak

916_5.0

Reaction score
The hose that goes into the side of my power steering pump seems to be leaking right where the nut threads on. I already tried tightening it and still seems to be dripping. IS there a little gasket or something that i need to replace in there? Or some other way I can fix this?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Did you have the rack replaced or off any time recently? Is this a new issue, or has been going on for a while?

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Did you have the rack replaced or off any time recently? Is this a new issue, or has been going on for a while?

I replaced the pump almost a year ago and never really noticed. I had noticed a little drip under my car but i have a little oil leak from my oil pan gasket so i thought it was from that.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Did the new pump come with new hoses or something? I know that most repair books recommend using teflon paste even on tapered fittings, so you might wann pull that off, make sure there is no more fluid in there, and seal it like that. I'd also wait a few hours before trying to run fluid through it. Could be that the hose itself is just screwed. Try resealing it first, because that's the cheapest thing to do by the process of elimination.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
Ok i will try using some teflon tape and see if that does the trick.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Isn't there supposed to be a nylon crush washer on there somewhere? I may just be making that up - but it sticks in my memory right now.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
If you could check and tell me if there is supposed to be a washer I would really appreciate it. And if there is do you know where i could get one or would telfon tape work?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Just looked at Chiltons manual, and there is supposed to be a plastic seal that is installed into the hydralic lines. Check if those are present, and if not, just pick up news one at the dealership.

Downshift

Reaction score
Are you sure this is not from your pump overflowing when we moved your car while it was not on... You had a shit ton come out.

OP
OP

916_5.0

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Are you sure this is not from your pump overflowing when we moved your car while it was not on... You had a shit ton come out.

I cleaned all the up yesterday cause thats what it might have been from and it still drips out of that little fitting.