Shots from SAAC-46 @ Sonoma

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I had the privilege of being the Paddock Marshall at SAAC-46. I wasn't able to bring my car, so I was able to spend a lot of time wandering around taking pictures. Here's one in particular that I really like:

From the NASCAR garages:

IMG_20210730_082915695_HDR.jpg

Right after I took this picture I heard a voice from behind me "Hey Perry!" Yes, (it was Rick Kopec, the President Emeritus of National SAAC. "You know that picture you just took?" Yes, "That's what $35 million dollars worth of Shelbys looks like." You can see two 1st generation 289 GT40s, a '67 GT40 MKIV (with a 900HP N/A 427 side oiler), and just the ass end of an original 1970 Shelby Daytona Coupe. That Daytona Coupe is a $15M car, The 289 GT40s are around $8M each, and the GT40 MKIV is about a $4M car (it's a very well done, very convincing clone).
Here's a better picture of the Daytona Coupe:

IMG_20210730_110109986_HDR.jpg

That is, of course, not one of the first six that were used to defeat Ferrari for the World Manufacturer's Championship three years in a row, but it is nonetheless still an original and extremely valuable. The guy had it out in the vintage race qualifying pushing it to it's limits! That's ballsy... I believe the owner's name is Lyn Park, but not sure. He suffered a mechanical issue during qualifying and so missed the race. I can say for sure his was by far the fastest car out there.

Here are a few more choice pics from that amazing event:

IMG_20210731_211939445.jpg

That's Peter Miles, the son of Ken Miles. You know, from Ford V Ferrari? He was our guest speaker for the Saturday evening banquet. Fascinating stuff. He told us a lot about his father and what was in the movie that never actually happened, like his dad throwing the wrench at Carroll Shelby and the fight in front of Ken Miles' home. He also said that Carroll Shelby giving Henry Ford II a ride in the 427 GT40 also never happened. He said that Shelby did give a ride in one of his 427 Cobras to another Ford executive who apparently did soil himself during the ride 8^)

IMG_20210731_160223290_HDR.jpg

The vintage race podium.

IMG_20210801_071857816.jpg

And the driver's meeting led by Mr. Tom Georgalos...

If any of you here ever have the opportunity to attend a National SAAC or NorCal SAAC Mini-Nats (Mini-Nationals) event, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do so. This is the kind of event where you will see jaw dropping vehicles and will end up with memories you will never forget. People bring their cars from all over the world, including one all the way from Australia. Why? Because he had never driven Sonoma before. Gee, that must be nice...

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I had the privilege of being the Paddock Marshall at SAAC-46. I wasn't able to bring my car, so I was able to spend a lot of time wandering around taking pictures. Here's one in particular that I really like:

From the NASCAR garages:

View attachment 31250

Right after I took this picture I heard a voice from behind me "Hey Perry!" Yes, (it was Rick Kopec, the President Emeritus of National SAAC. "You know that picture you just took?" Yes, "That's what $35 million dollars worth of Shelbys looks like." You can see two 1st generation 289 GT40s, a '67 GT40 MKIV (with a 900HP N/A 427 side oiler), and just the ass end of an original 1970 Shelby Daytona Coupe. That Daytona Coupe is a $15M car, The 289 GT40s are around $8M each, and the GT40 MKIV is about a $4M car (it's a very well done, very convincing clone).
Here's a better picture of the Daytona Coupe:

View attachment 31251

That is, of course, not one of the first six that were used to defeat Ferrari for the World Manufacturer's Championship three years in a row, but it is nonetheless still an original and extremely valuable. The guy had it out in the vintage race qualifying pushing it to it's limits! That's ballsy... I believe the owner's name is Lyn Park, but not sure. He suffered a mechanical issue during qualifying and so missed the race. I can say for sure his was by far the fastest car out there.

Here are a few more choice pics from that amazing event:

View attachment 31252

That's Peter Miles, the son of Ken Miles. You know, from Ford V Ferrari? He was our guest speaker for the Saturday evening banquet. Fascinating stuff. He told us a lot about his father and what was in the movie that never actually happened, like his dad throwing the wrench at Carroll Shelby and the fight in front of Ken Miles' home. He also said that Carroll Shelby giving Henry Ford II a ride in the 427 GT40 also never happened. He said that Shelby did give a ride in one of his 427 Cobras to another Ford executive who apparently did soil himself during the ride 8^)

View attachment 31253

The vintage race podium.

View attachment 31254

And the driver's meeting led by Mr. Tom Georgalos...

If any of you here ever have the opportunity to attend a National SAAC or NorCal SAAC Mini-Nats (Mini-Nationals) event, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do so. This is the kind of event where you will see jaw dropping vehicles and will end up with memories you will never forget. People bring their cars from all over the world, including one all the way from Australia. Why? Because he had never driven Sonoma before. Gee, that must be nice...
Very very cool

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome! Just pure awesomeness! Any and all Shelby history information is always fun.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
These events are free to attend as spectators. These are not big spectator events, so you can view the action from pretty much anywhere. You're able to wander through the paddock and NASCAR garages just like I was doing.
I've been able to meet Carroll Shelby 3 times over the years. I was also able to meet and speak with Pete Brock who was Shelby's right hand man. Pete was the designer of the Daytona Coupe. He was our guest speaker at SAAC-43. While talking about the 3-year in a row defeat of Ferrari for the World Manufacturers Championship, he told the crowd that they shipped all six of them back to the USA. He said Shelby told him "Sell 'em. Just get what you can for 'em". Pete said "I was having a hard time getting people to give me five grand for them". You should have heard the GROANS from the crowd. One guy stood up and said "Uh, I'll take all six of them". Pete said "Hey, they were just used race cars back then". I think the last one that sold went for $17M and that was many years ago.
Once I had Pete's attention I asked him "How did the handling of the Daytona Coupe compare to the Ferraris?". He said "Well, the Daytona Coupes were a real hand full". I said "So how did you manage to beat Ferrari?" He said "Gas mileage. The Ferraris were running their V12 which is very thirsty. We we running the HiPo 289 which is much more fuel efficient. When the Ferraris pitted for fuel we just drove right by them".
Holy cow, I wonder how many people know that.
I was also able to meet Chuck Cantwell, the designer of the '65 GT350. Shelby did not design that car himself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online