TIMING CHAIN HELP

stanginator1

Reaction score
Hello all, new here. I have a 2004 gt 4.6 2V I had a timing chain guide break and it destroyed my motor. I bought a short block "kind of" it didn't have cams or any timing at all on it. It's all back together except for cams and timing, I can't seen to get it right. I marked my chain at ends opposite ends. I put the Crank gear at 6 o'clock put the LH cam at 1 o'clock but the slack on the chain is on the bottom and not on the tensioner side. what am I doing wrong. By the way the motor came out of a crashed 04 mustang

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Put it together like that then rotate the cam a little to tighten the chain on the guide side and put all the slack to the tensioner side. Then install your tensioner arm and tensioner. You may need an extra set of hands, and make sure to use a breaker bar, not a ratchet. That way the cam stays where your hand commands it.

Post some pictures of what you’re dealing with, we will talk you through it

OP
OP
stanginator1

stanginator1

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1696122972819.jpg
Put it together like that then rotate the cam a little to tighten the chain on the guide side and put all the slack to the tensioner side. Then install your tensioner arm and tensioner. You may need an extra set of hands, and make sure to use a breaker bar, not a ratchet. That way the cam stays where your hand commands it.

Post some pictures of what you’re dealing with, we will talk you through it
Thanks I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks for the reply

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A broke timing chain guide? Was it all plastic type? And why do you think it broke?

Hitting the rev limiter destroys the timing components in these engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online