Tremec?

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Found a 2002 GT vert that has a Tremec. Ad says they were rare in those cars? Can anyone add anything to this? I know next to nothing about these or any Ford manual trans. Car appears to be in excellent shape with 77,000 miles for $13,000

Thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
They are came with TREMEC transmissions, some just had different models. Did he say what model TREMEC it was? T45, Tr3650, T56?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The factory transmission for that car would be a Tremec T-3650.

Something special would be if they had swapped it to a Tremec T-56, TKO/3550 or a TKX.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
doesn't say. i have met the girl that owns it. She has a few cars and i have seen her at a few cruises but she was never in the mustang. I guess her husband passed away a few years ago and left her these cars so not sure how much she knows about them but it looks good in the pics. she also said it has 3.89 gears which i don't think is even available in that car? says ceramic headers, koni suspension and flowmaster exhaust. i really need to wait until we sell our boat in the spring but could swing it if its too good to pass up

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
doesn't say. i have met the girl that owns it. She has a few cars and i have seen her at a few cruises but she was never in the mustang. I guess her husband passed away a few years ago and left her these cars so not sure how much she knows about them but it looks good in the pics. she also said it has 3.89 gears which i don't think is even available in that car? says ceramic headers, koni suspension and flowmaster exhaust. i really need to wait until we sell our boat in the spring but could swing it if its too good to pass up
Might be worth going to check it out. Do you have a link to the ad, or some pictures we could see?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
yep, most likely the 3650. used them at least in 2001, not sure about 2000.

the 3650 is very sensitive to fluid level and changing to certain other fluids can help. they were not the smoothest shifting trannys.

ctandc

Reaction score
$13K for a normal GT Ragtop?
Is it supercharged?

$13K is nice, lower mile Mach 1 Territory where I am.

Tremec isn't 'rare'. You could get one of two transmissions in a '02 Mustang GT - TR-3650 (Tremec) 5 speed or 4RW70 (auto).

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
seems to be a fair price around here based on what i have seen. i wouldn't go any higher for sure. in fact i think $12k would be my limit on that one

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I'm at $6-7K tops on that car. I also don't think they know much about the car. Tremec 5-spd was the factory equipped trans, no such thing as 389 gears, and the silver available for 2002 was paint code TN - Satin Silver

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
lol. around here $6-7000 will get you a high mile car needing quite a bit of work. but agreed she doesn't know much about the car

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I got my 68K mile '00 GT for $1K. Granted a bit of a steal there, but even with the work and mods I've done since acquiring it, i probably would list it for $7K myself.

ctandc

Reaction score
Don't let your location bind you up when you're looking for a NICE example of a car you want. Many times you can find exactly what you want, CHEAPER and fly out / drive it home or ship it - than settling for something local.

You set on a convertible? Now is the time.

That's a franchise VW dealer with a 52K mile '01 GT Ragtop (Auto) for under $11K in WA state. I GUARANTEE you - it being OCTOBER you could get that car for $10K flat if not under. Fly in - drive it home.

That's just an extreme example. I've convinced people over the years on this route, ESPECIALLY if you live in a place that tends to see a lot of rusty cars. If I was looking for a SN95 convertible, rust free, - I'd be using zip codes for cities in FLORIDA and checking FB marketplace etc. Just me.

Here's a 1 OWNER with 62K 5 speed

68K car in PA

These are all at dealers and still priced lower than the car you shared. Also depends on how they are on price. It's almost Winter, in PA - not exactly the best time to sell a ragtop. $13K in an ad - that CAN equal $9-10K in cash in person. All depends.

It mainly depends on what you want and what the seller is dealing with.

Good luck.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
yeah i have looked at some down south passively. That 2nd one needs a paint job (at least the rear bumper) and probably $1000 to get it home with air fare to get there. But i'm not opposed to buying down south and driving it home. I'm passively looking right now cause i really need to sell our boat first.
I looked at one 2 weeks ago at a classic car dealer. looked great in the pics. Had scuff marks all over so needed a good buff and had a ding in the door. Also 2 of the wheels were pitted and they wanted $14,000. Car was maybe an $8-9000 car.
The one i posted i haven't seen in person but would probably start at about $10k offer and see where that goes providing it is as clean as it looks in the pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.