water pump

red95r

Reaction score
It looks as though I'll be changing my water pump due to the fact It appears to be leaking around the seal. Are they're any tips you guys think I should know before starting this?

I helped my bro do his on his explorer, he stripped bolts and the thing leaked like crazy(complete mess).

It looks as though I'll have to move an P/S bracket, is this a PITA?

Thanks.

jthorn9

Reaction score
Well I've never changed a water pump on a 3.8, but it is designed similarly to the 5.0, and on my 5.0 it's dirt easy. However just because the gasket has blown doesn't mean the pump is bad (unless it's leaking from behind the pulley then I see your point. With that said, all you do is unbolt everything, clean the surface area (a dremmel with a sanding head works wonders) then apply the gasket. It's up to you if you want to use gasket maker in between the gasket and the engine/pump, I did that the first time and it blew again, did it the second bare gasket only, perfect, so that ones on you. Also, it may be a good idea to have a polishing disk (the thing with the wires on the end you stick in a drill around) to clean the bolts off once you take them out. They'll be pretty funky, just clean them up and they should be good to go, but it's also a good way to see if any are cracked, stipped, etc. Also, make sure you have anti sieze for putting the bolts back in, makes them torque properly and insures they don't get stuck in the engine.

OP
OP
red95r

red95r

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was reading that I have to remove the P/s bracket all together, can it be done without removing it?

I Just have a slow coolant leak, it doesn't appear to have come from the heads. The water marks on the front of the accessory rack make it look like the water pump. The coolant shows up in drips on the upper oil pan.

Maybe I can take a pic of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online