Who was it.. Changed their IAC.. different style.. independent vacuum?

NERD

Reaction score
Who was it that Changed there IAC for a different style? It was from an Exploder or 4v and it didn't need the vacuum tube??? How did it go and did it work well?

After going over all the voltage ranges of the different model IAC's it seems I can tune them all the same so I'm may be switching to clean up the engine bay even more.

Thanks...

(I think the person had a RED Plenum and intake.)

joekd

Reaction score
It was me and you are right, it was an Explorer IAC

iac238.jpg

I never really got it to work the way I wanted so instead I ended up just replacing the factory air feed with straight 1/2 hose to eliminate the plastic box look and clean up the engine bay a little

Here's how it was
DSC00114.jpg

Here's how it looks now (yes I know there were other changes made also between the tow pics but this is all I could find right now)

As you can see the vacuum line is all but invisible and your eye is drawn to the upper plenum instead of the ugly box

motor129.JPG

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
What was your issue with it? What was it's idle handling characteristic? Depending on what they were I can tune it out.

joekd

Reaction score
It wasn't a signal/tune problem at all, the problem is that our upper plenum has no "feed" for air to get in (is designed to work off the front air feed while other IAC setups like the ranger and explorer have two open ports)

I tried to slot the IAC to allow an air feed but it simply wasnt enough.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
You tried to slot the IAC or the Plenum? Is the external Air cap the issue?

joekd

Reaction score
The plenum on the mustang has no air feed at all (behind the left port is a sealed area)

This is an aftermarket piece but it helps illustrate my point, left side sealed, right side feed air into plenum to maintain idle.

GMS9601.gif

I tried slotting the IAC thinking the cap wasnt allowing enough but it turns out the air cap feeds none at all, it seals up tight since the other applications have an air feed for the left side port.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Why didn't you drill through the plenum on that left side?

joekd

Reaction score
My logic is that I would rather use the air line in the front before I drilled through the plenum itself

Plus that wouldn't really be a bypass since it is after the TB butterfly anyway. All you would be doing is sucking air out of the plenum

joekd

Reaction score
Vermilion said:
i dont think thats possible.

Umm..ok. You dont think what is possible, me trying the Explorer IAC (which I did) or the drilling part I mentioned and said it wasnt a good idea?

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work? Being that the expoder is a 4.6 it should work if it's drilled out and tuned to meter correctly.

Does anyone have a picture of the 4v IAC that's remote mounted?

joekd

Reaction score
The IAC without the hose gets air from the throttle body before the TB blade. Cars with those types of IACs have a small hole directly before the blade of the TB, the hole is on the throttle body itself. Then on the back of the TB there is a small slot which goes into the intake manifold directing it into the IAC valve. The 2nd port of the IAC gets air directly after the TB from a hole in the manifold.

Here is the explorer and ranger 4.0L setup, you could make it work like this but honestly I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online