2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I might revisit the button lighting later. 99-00 cars use blue lighting in the guages, hvac and buttons. 01+ use green.

IMG_6728.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Interior looks nice and clean. Need to order my seat covers to recover the front seats. Also need a radio still.

IMG_6764.jpeg

Did a black pony in the grill. Not a fan

Yeah car needs a wash but that will come when I start to work on buffing the paint.
IMG_6762.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Parking brake boot finally installed (console didn't come with one). I rewired the buttons to the 01-04 style. Really just need to find a DD radio I like and install and my 01+ console/center dash swap is complete.

IMG_7076.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Seat covers arrive. Got them from Auto Seat Replacement on eBay (also on Amazon)

$400 plus tax for the two bottoms and tops. Headrests were extra but I didn’t need them. These are vinyl. They have leather but it was more expensive. I’m happy with the vinyl version.
IMG_7251.jpeg

I have four donor seats to use, my original two and another set of charcoal. I think the foam in the charcoal seats is in better shape. Haven’t decided if I’ll stick with the 03/04 big headrests, or use the fox halo loop headrests

IMG_7253.jpeg

First up. Start breaking down the passenger seat and donors and see what needs to be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Stripped one seat down to start fitting up the covers. Upper bolster was fine, so test fit the cover. Fits nice. Gonna let it stretch a bit and head to bed and fit it tomorrow.

A few wrinkles, but vinyl typically relaxes in the sun so I feel good that these creases will come out and this will be nice and tight. I’ve done seats before so not my first rodeo.

IMG_7268.jpeg

Seat bottom foam is junk, so I need to strip down my other dark charcoal donor chair. I made it into an office chair so I’ll need to put the other foam back in that.

IMG_6998.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
One side done. I did need to rob the bottom foam from that office chair.

A couple small wrinkles but I think a good day in the sun will address that.

IMG_7281.jpegIMG_7280.jpegIMG_7278.jpeg

Snorky

Reaction score
That looks so good! Nothing like new upholstery and paint

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Very nice. I have to do the passenger seat in ours. Someone had already done the drivers seat but no idea why they didn't do both as I don't think you can just buy them for 1 seat? Ours isn't ripped open but has a few cracks so want to replace it soon.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Very nice. I have to do the passenger seat in ours. Someone had already done the drivers seat but no idea why they didn't do both as I don't think you can just buy them for 1 seat? Ours isn't ripped open but has a few cracks so want to replace it soon.

Unfortunately they only do 99-04 covers but they will sell pass side only.

They have all three of the 99-04 colors.

Last edited:

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Definitely let us know how you like it. I've been needing to update the receiver in my F150 Harley-Davidson as the CD part took a crap.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Built some mounts. Basically just a strap across the front like the 01-04 mustangs and a rear support. Definitely a measure 10x drill once kind of operation.

I oversized the two mounting holes and used fender clips to allow me some wiggleroom in terms of where the radio is positioned. This allowed me to perfectly center it and level it. On the U-bracket, the holes are also oversized so I can adjust front to rear depth. Was a PITA measuring this out before finally drilling.

The rear is supported by the vertical bracket in the center. It's bolted to the console by an existing bolt in the bottom. I made the hole slotted so I can lift or lower it as needed. The top is bent to cradle the rear of the radio with a peice of heat shrink over the end as a cushion. I just adjust it up or down to angle the radio as desired. Pretty sturdy, and all fits in behind the OEM console trim bezel.

I used the Metra 95-5026 mounting kit to mount the radio and fit the bezel properly. Without it, the DD radio would actually be smaller than the opening. The trim piece that Kenwood supplies is too large and doesn't fit properly.

IMG_7402.jpeg

But fit is good. Nice and even and secure. Now to wire it in. Waiting for my rear view camera to arrive too.

All this center stack will be changed to the silver IUP trim. It's been too cold to dye the black shifter bezel I have. The SEM dye doesn't really lay down well when it's 15 degrees out.

IMG_7400.jpeg

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
Built some mounts. Basically just a strap across the front like the 01-04 mustangs and a rear support. Definitely a measure 10x drill once kind of operation.

View attachment 31811

But fit is good. Nice and even and secure. Now to wire it in. Waiting for my rear view camera to arrive too

View attachment 31812

You got the hard part done. The wiring is the easy stuff!

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Can’t decide if I want to do the front camera. What would be the benefit really?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H.J.Garage

Members online